Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   3rd Gen Clutch needs replacement? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307757-3rd-gen-clutch-needs-replacement.html)

BretMann 10-15-2022 11:43 AM

3rd Gen Clutch needs replacement?

I parked my 107k miles truck 14 months ago w/ the transmission shifting fine and no slippage. After waiting for parts, distractions and finding the time to finish the job at hand, it's now back together and running. But the shifter wouldn't shift either with the engine on or off.

I installed a new Aisin clutch master cylinder a couple k miles ago and is essentially new and no drips as well as for the slave cylinder. I then rotated the master plunger rod to extend it about 1/4" more and it's now on the last threads. Doing that got the shifter working again.

1 -Did it sitting for a year create the issue of it not shifting? If so why?
2- About how many miles do you think are left on the factory clutch?
3- Would adding a plunger rod extending coupling extend the life of the clutch or is doing that a bad idea?

Thanks.

RandyBobandy 10-15-2022 05:52 PM

I’d replace the slave cylinder first, they have a higher failure rate than the master and a bad clutch shouldn’t cause you to not be able to shift unless there was something wrong with the pressure plate and in that case adjusting the master cylinder push rod wouldn’t have done anything

Also 200k+ on a factory clutch isn’t out of the ordinary, it should have plenty of life left

BretMann 10-16-2022 09:53 AM

That's all good news. I'll try that even though the slave isn't dripping. I wondered if the slave and master wear out at about the same time. I hope it's just the salve cylinder. I don't tow much at all, drive hard or ride the clutch so I hope I get all those miles more out of it.

Thanks!

brillo_76 10-16-2022 10:47 AM

Mostly they don't wear out unless they are leaking. However, I have seen o rings start to fail in master cylinders and leak fluid past thus not work properly.

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

4Reak Show 10-16-2022 11:08 AM

I’m not understanding, what did you replace already? The clutch assembly? If so I have an idea

BretMann 10-16-2022 11:17 AM

Interesting.

I just ordered the Aisin slave (CRT029) from RockAuto (w/ Tx + Ship = $35.29).

I'll try it out and and report back. I saw on YouTube to grease the rings. Is that a good idea and if so, what grease - white lithium, silicone?

BretMann 10-16-2022 11:22 AM

I already replaced the master cylinder relatively recently - and the fluid. Hmmm, could the fluid have water in it already? I'll test for that.

Sparky 97Runner 10-16-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMann (Post 3764919)
But the shifter wouldn't shift either with the engine on or off.

Your clutch, master and slave will have nothing to do with not being able to shift with the engine off. You should normally be able to smoothly shift through all gears without touching the clutch with the engine off. Any chance that something on top of the transmission is physically blocking your shifter from moving?

BretMann 10-16-2022 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=Any chance that something on top of the transmission is physically blocking your shifter from moving?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of. The very first startup attempt, clutch pedal down, the truck lurched forward without engine starting. Never had that happen before but fortunately the hand brake was on. It was in 1st gear. I managed to get it into neutral and tried again and it started ok but then couldn't get it into gear. Turned engine off, got it into gear, clutch pedal down, start again then lurched again without engine starting. Then there it stayed in 1st gear and couldn't get it out of that gear. I pushed and pulled on the shifter with some effort but didn't want to force it. When I extended the master's pushrod the next day, it shifted into all gears normally.

Sparky 97Runner 10-16-2022 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMann (Post 3765068)
Turned engine off, got it into gear, clutch pedal down, start again then lurched again without engine starting. Then there it stayed in 1st gear and couldn't get it out of that gear. I pushed and pulled on the shifter with some effort but didn't want to force it.

Okay, that makes sense. Your transmission was under pressure against the parking brake which made it difficult to get out of gear with the engine off. Does it shift through all gears now with the engine off? If so, I agree this does sound like a master/slave issue. Most likely your new Aisin master needs to be bleed properly considering you don't have any leaks.

BretMann 10-16-2022 03:20 PM

Good point. What I'll also try is to back the plunger rod to where it was. And with no pressure on the parking brake, try the starting sequence again outside where there's space - see was happens and report back.

Sparky 97Runner 10-16-2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMann (Post 3765081)
Good point. What I'll also try is to back the plunger rod to where it was. And with no pressure on the parking brake, try the starting sequence again outside where there's space - see was happens and report back.

First try bleeding your master with plunger in original location. That's the easiest thing to do but you need two people. Or use a russell speed bleeder.

Pyral 10-16-2022 06:58 PM

The original clutches last a very long time, you could get another 100k or more out of it depending on how you drive.

The slave cylinder last until they start leaking, my 4runner likely sat for a very long time before I bought it and it didn't have any issues internally.

You should bleed the clutch fluid, this is often neglected and theoretically shortens the life. Your more likely to have problems with master cylinder.

octanejunkie 10-17-2022 12:46 AM

A bad master cylinder will allow fluid past the plunger, meaning the pressure plate won't be held by the clutch. It won't leak like the slave cylinder does.

A few tricks and things to consider

If you didn't bench bleed the clutch master crack the hardline connection at the master and have a helper pump the clutch pedal slowly until it weeps from the hard line connection, then tighten it down and wipe it well.

When you bleed the hydraulic clutch (master and slave) it's best to have a helper on the pedal and you working the bleeder screw/wrench while holding the plunger on the slave in, that way the full stroke of the master can go to bleeding the circuit.

2-3 pumps like that and you will be properly bled.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

brillo_76 10-17-2022 09:21 AM

Can you use a speed bleeder on the clutch slave cylinder to bleed it yourself?

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk