Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   X2 Power 31M Battery Posts Hit Hood (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/307759-x2-power-31m-battery-posts-hit-hood.html)

lathamb 10-15-2022 02:01 PM

X2 Power 31M Battery Posts Hit Hood

Hi All,
I'm upgrading my battery from a Die Hard Platinum 31M, and I bought an X2 Power 31M. I knew the cables would need to be extended, however the battery posts on the negative side now hit the hood. Has anyone come up with a good fix for this? I'm looking at cutting down the negative terminal, but wanted to check before I get the cut off tool out.
Thanks,

riceandpho 10-16-2022 12:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
undo the negative post, its only a bus bar that goes to the other terminal, i forgot what size bolt can go in there.

Attachment 400510
@CrimsonCountry did this
Attachment 400511

lathamb 10-16-2022 10:00 AM

Thanks. The one I Have looks quite a bit different from that one. The posts are way to the front of the battery where they were previously closer to the middle (like you show there), and they stick up a good 3/4 of an inch higher than my old DHP 31M. I don't know if they have redesigned the battery or what, but after looking around for a while yesterday, the new X2 Power 31's and the new Odyssey 31Ms look almost identical with the newer post placement.

Are you saying you were able to remove both threaded studs (negative posts), by unscrewing them from the bus bar under the case? I unscrewed the typical automotive battery terminal, that left two threaded posts sticking out of the battery that were both too tall. If I can remove those studs from the bus bar and use a shorter bolt for the terminals that might be an option.

CrimsonCountry 10-17-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lathamb (Post 3765026)
Thanks. The one I Have looks quite a bit different from that one. The posts are way to the front of the battery where they were previously closer to the middle (like you show there), and they stick up a good 3/4 of an inch higher than my old DHP 31M. I don't know if they have redesigned the battery or what, but after looking around for a while yesterday, the new X2 Power 31's and the new Odyssey 31Ms look almost identical with the newer post placement.

Are you saying you were able to remove both threaded studs (negative posts), by unscrewing them from the bus bar under the case? I unscrewed the typical automotive battery terminal, that left two threaded posts sticking out of the battery that were both too tall. If I can remove those studs from the bus bar and use a shorter bolt for the terminals that might be an option.

What does yours look like? I'm surprised they changed the design if thats the case.

theladyviola 10-17-2022 06:53 PM

X2 Power 31M Battery Posts Hit Hood

Quote:

Originally Posted by lathamb (Post 3765026)

The Odyssey, X2, and Northstar 31M are indeed all the same battery. If you convert over to just using the studs, I’d think the 31T would fit better. Otherwise I’d think you could unscrew the negative stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonCountry 10-17-2022 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theladyviola (Post 3765308)
The Odyssey, X2, and Northstar 31M are indeed all the same battery. If you convert over to just using the studs, I’d think the 31T would fit better. Otherwise I’d think you could unscrew the negative stud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I wouldnt think they changed designs across all brands since the 31s appeared the same a few months back.

I took everything off mine (thread posts, bus bar underneath the plastic cap and the cap itself) leaving only the threaded post holes. I bought some 1" 3/8 bolts to fasten flush terminal blocks on mine (pictured above). I also bought some shorter, threaded posts to use the OEM connectors bc I was in a hurry when installing and couldnt find my crimper (likely redo later). Everything clears and I can slam my hood shut as normal.

I've yet to make terminal covers to prevent the increased short risk given that both exposed surfaces are massive but will do that soon. That or I'll ditch the blocks and just stack the few connectors I actually use on the bolt and be done.