Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Adjustable Valves or not? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/307815-adjustable-valves-not.html)

jpgade13 10-19-2022 01:42 PM

Adjustable Valves or not?

Okay So I have a 2002 4runner and Im smelling some exhaust and some burning oil. I had the valve cover gasket replaced in 2017 and I replaced both catalytic converters as well as the muffler also in 2017. I pulled two spark plugs and noticed oil on them so Im thinking the plug tube seals ( as far as I know should had been replaced when the gasket were) Although after 5 years shouldn't need to be replaced. but I was calling around and wanted to have the valve clearances checked and shims replaced if need but several people said you dont adjust them. Called the dealer and they said they would do it with a new gasket for the covers for $789 which was way cheaper then the people who said they would do for $3100-3600 ( i think they were just doing a complete valve job) I also saw the timmy the tool man video on this. so what is the consensus on this. again Im only considering this because it has never been don in the 257000 mile it has on it and the burning oil( not a lot) and exhaust smell

mtbtim 10-19-2022 02:04 PM

Whoever told you don't adjust the valves are idiots.

$789 to do a valve cover gasket job and valve adjustment is a steal. It makes me believe it's too good to be true. Lots of shops pass on doing valve adjustments because it's a pain in ass. You might want to reconfirm what they quoted you for. That price sounds like what they would charge just for a valve cover gasket job.

You've watched my video on this topic so you know what it entails.

However, your burning smell is most likely due to your valve covers, cam plugs or half moons leaking onto the exhaust manifold. It's super common.

I think you're due for a valve cover gasket job and checking the valve lash while you're in there would be smart. If you don't want to do the job yourself to save money, and that dealership quote indeed covers the adjustment of the valves, I'd let the dealership do it for you.

Here's our Valve Cover Gasket Job video for you to see what's involved in case you'd like to tackle it yourself. It's not hard. It's just time consuming.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N5fAXAuGozI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

t

jpgade13 10-19-2022 02:32 PM

yeah when I called the dealer I asked for a valve adjustment and then they asked If I wanted it to include a new gasket which I thought was odd I just assumed if you remove the valve cover you would need to replace the gasket. then I specifically asked that they will be checking the the clearances and replacing shims as needed and they said yes. I would like to do it myself but I dont want to get in over my head unfortunately non my friends are mechanically inclined at least the ones that live near by, beside when trying to find a shim kit online i was not finding much, so i think I will dbl check the price with the dealer and if true let them do it, thanks for the advice

Devbot 10-19-2022 02:48 PM

I would want to actually be certain toyota is talking about a valve adjustment as well, cylinder head shops don't even offer a price that good and in my experience I've personally had a Toyota dealership tell me the valve cover gaskets alone are an $800 job (which I laughed in their face for, of course)
On one hand if they insist they would be replacing shims, $800 would be highway robbery and it would be hard to pass up. But also alluding that they would re-use gaskets is a pretty big red flag too... if anything I would be a hesitant they would upcharge at the very end, like Tim said it's a price almost too good to be true. I work on cylinder heads myself, and in the past our sales department has offered some pretty ridiculous pricing because they're oblivious to the work that goes into the services they sell
I would do some more digging on them, personally

gamefreakgc 10-19-2022 03:55 PM

That's a great price for a valve adjustment. I say go for it if you cannot do it yourself. It is a real pain.

Bad Luck 10-19-2022 04:45 PM

For anyone curious, Prodemand/Mitchell show that it's 5 hours of labor for valve clearance adjustment. I would expect the parts price for the shims would depend on what is needed for adjusting the valves to spec so that would change your bill at the end. They might charge a little extra labor to replace the spark plug tube seals since that wouldn't be necessary to remove the valve covers.

jpgade13 10-19-2022 04:53 PM

Called another toyota dealer and asked the same thing for a valve adjustment and this dealer told me $2200 which sounds more like a price a dealer would charge this dealer listed all the work that was involved and parts that would be affected and possibly need changing

19963.4lsr5 10-19-2022 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgade13 (Post 3765688)
Called another toyota dealer and asked the same thing for a valve adjustment and this dealer told me $2200 which sounds more like a price a dealer would charge this dealer listed all the work that was involved and parts that would be affected and possibly need changing

It’s not a simple task and you need to understand the math. Plus having the tool to remove the shims without removing the cams.

In my experience usually the exhaust valves need adjusted and may be one or two intake valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phattyduck 10-19-2022 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3765643)
Whoever told you don't adjust the valves are idiots.

I wouldn't adjust them at 100k... I'd say mine are overdue at >300k miles though!

So, it isn't on the maintenance schedule anywhere, but it might be worthwhile do now that the engine is such high mileage. As others have said - total pain (which is why I haven't done it). I should have checked clearances when I did the valve covers 30k miles ago.

Poorly adjusted valves won't cause oil burning issues though. And you might want to confirm where the oil was on the spark plugs - above the gasket = leaking tube seals, below the gasket = ring or valve stem seals.

-Charlie

mtbtim 10-19-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3765711)
I wouldn't adjust them at 100k... I'd say mine are overdue at >300k miles though!

So, it isn't on the maintenance schedule anywhere, but it might be worthwhile do now that the engine is such high mileage. As others have said - total pain (which is why I haven't done it). I should have checked clearances when I did the valve covers 30k miles ago.

Poorly adjusted valves won't cause oil burning issues though. And you might want to confirm where the oil was on the spark plugs - above the gasket = leaking tube seals, below the gasket = ring or valve stem seals.

-Charlie

Yeah, I wouldn't adjust them at 100k either. Now, if I had the 3RZ engine, I'd check the valve lash at 100k. Those engines are notorious for burning up exhaust valves.

Yes, it's a pain to adjust valves on our engines. I did this job once on my buddy Wei's rig and it was a hassle.

octanejunkie 10-19-2022 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbtim (Post 3765742)
Yeah, I wouldn't adjust them at 100k either. Now, if I had the 3RZ engine, I'd check the valve lash at 100k. Those engines are notorious for burning up exhaust valves.

Yes, it's a pain to adjust valves on our engines. I did this job once on my buddy Wei's rig and it was a hassle.

What about just swapping heads with refurbs to kill a few birds at once, so to speak? The valve tolerances should be GTG.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbtim 10-20-2022 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octanejunkie (Post 3765747)
What about just swapping heads with refurbs to kill a few birds at once, so to speak? The valve tolerances should be GTG.

That's a bit overkill I believe and swapping out heads is a lot of work. I'd rather just do the valve adjustment. I'd only swap out a head if the head needed to come off because the head cracked, a valve burned up or the head gasket failed.

brillo_76 10-20-2022 09:49 AM

On the v6. I say 250k to 300k plus is a good interval for valve adjustments. Granted, I am not looking forward to that project at all. :/

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

jpgade13 10-20-2022 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octanejunkie (Post 3765747)

If I was have some major issues I would consider swapping the heads but for the area I have to work and my limited tools, I would have to take it to someone. So at that point if I was having an issue that made me think about swapping the head I would just start looking for a JDM engine. it would be around the same price

Im pretty sure My issue is with the valve cover gasket or tube seals but with the high Milage on the engine and they valve covers will be off anyway I want to have the valve clearances check, just seems like the right time to check and address any issues if any.

so found a shop that uses all toyota parts and will do everything (they explained it I didnt have to ask) $1300 Find this to be the most reasonable price. all the prices lower than that I didnt have the confidence in the way they spoke to feel like they knew what they were doing including the one toyota deal who said $789 he won't return my call now so I think he knows he screwed up the quote

Twisted Sid 10-20-2022 10:20 AM

As far as valve shims go, does anyone know if the shims are universal to toyota engines and if not, what Toyota engines use these same shims as the 5vz and 3rz?
I'm thinking the next time I'm at the junkyard, ill start to grab a bunch of shims to have on hand because both my engines are due. For a few dollars, I might just get lucky and get the right thickness I need