Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   4runner battery (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/307828-4runner-battery.html)

callihan_44 10-20-2022 02:01 PM

4runner battery

how many years did your factory battery last? I have 2016 and the factory panasonic battery is still going...though I suspect it's showing signs of near future death ...I personally never had a battery last this many years

Jivewalker 10-20-2022 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by callihan_44 (Post 3765864)
how many years did your factory battery last? I have 2016 and the factory panasonic battery is still going...though I suspect it's showing signs of near future death ...I personally never had a battery last this many years

You are on the edge. My stock lasted about 6 years. I'd replace now to prevent having to go to wal-mart at 1AM on a sunday. Ask me how I know.

BTW, the wal-mart battery lasted about 4 years. I'm now on a duralast from autozone.

emmantik 10-20-2022 02:51 PM

6 years. Could've went a bit longer but thought it was time for a replacement.

Humble Leader 10-20-2022 03:56 PM

between 5 and 6 years, replaced preventatively, second one lasted about 5 years too

taildragger 10-20-2022 04:16 PM

Just over 5 yrs for mine

Nick B 10-21-2022 03:24 PM

I date the battery with a paint pen and replace it at the 3 year mark . Batteries are fairly cheap and it’s not worth getting stuck somewhere with a dead battery because you tried to stretch it longer . Plus being in SW Florida batteries rarely last more than 3 years.

JAXJeremy 10-21-2022 03:58 PM

Like any other hot climate, Florida is rough on batteries..The factory battery on my '18 lasted about 2 years, replaced under warranty..2nd one is about to crap out. Planning on replacing it with an X2 from Batteries plus. I've got one in my off road vehicle that's still going strong after 5 years..

ArthurKotb 10-21-2022 04:15 PM

There's another thread on this topic; quite interesting
How long does the OEM battery last?

I still have the OEM Panasonic from my '04 delivery in 2003 in my garage. It still holds at about 80% which is pretty good. I replaced it in 11/2015, so it lasted 12 years. I keep it on a battery monitoring charger.

It was working fine, I just got nervous when getting ready for a long trip pulling a travel trailer. My current Toyota battery is almost 7 years old.

Parts guy at the dealership said he wished they could get the Panasonic batteries

DAW89446 10-21-2022 05:28 PM

‘18 SR5 w/50,000 miles. Still running the OEM Panasonic. No corrosion, never have serviced it. Truck is regularly used over dirt roads and trails, in snowy winter weather, warm summers.

I bought an ‘02 Tacoma TRD 4x4 pickup new, which had a Panasonic battery. Replaced it in 2009 when the truck had over 100,000 miles on it. It was during winter with subzero weather. If run daily it would start. If attempted without running it the day before, it would just click. I jumped it with my jumper box a few times then replaced it.

fourwd1 10-21-2022 06:04 PM

Moving this to General Discussion so more people can benefit.

Ripper238 10-21-2022 06:29 PM

Didn't need to but I replaced with an AGM battery in my 19 this year since I needed the extra capacity, but it probably would have gone an extra year or so.

Usually battery's last 4-6 years depending on use and climate. My colder temps here tend to take some life away.

RAD4Runner 10-22-2022 02:45 AM

Panasonics Have a Good Record

Quote:

Originally Posted by callihan_44 (Post 3765864)

You are not alone.
I've heard of many Yota owners whose Panasonics lasted longer than most other brands. Typically one would be lucky to have a battery last 5 years.

thesmugglare 10-22-2022 11:04 AM

I have a Varta battery in my 2nd gen. I find it impressive how well it keeps the charge even with me draining the battery while working on the car's electronics

fourwd1 10-22-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner (Post 3766107)
You are not alone.
I've heard of many Yota owners whose Panasonics lasted longer than most other brands. Typically one would be lucky to have a battery last 5 years.

The Panasonics are better, the Panasonic in my old Maxima lasted 12+ yrs.
It would have lasted longer if I hadn't left it in my garage for 4 days with the doors and hood open. :(

TK-422 10-22-2022 11:54 PM

I replaced mine at 5 years with an AGM and put the Panasonic in a large shed with a solar panel and LED lights.

It lasted until a couple months ago when I replaced it with a marine battery.