Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Question about Diff drop (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/307870-question-about-diff-drop.html)

Syr4RinNC 10-25-2022 11:26 AM

Question about Diff drop

Im planning to do a Diff drop. Theres no clear science or research it helps, but it cant hurt and its cheap and I keep going through CV axles.

Im not sure when the last time my mid engine skid plate has come off. I tried to remove one of the bolts and it snapped like a twig and I assume the rest are frozen on. So I believe I will not be able to support the diff from underneath with a jack.

Heres an idea and Im wondering what your thoughts are - I remove side a diff bracket bolt then slide the longer diff bracket bolt in side a. I then remove the other diff bracket bolt side b and allow the space with the longer bolt on side to slide the spacer in side b and put the longer bolt in side b. with side b secure, I remove side a bolt, slide the spacer in and torque it all down.

Do you think one bolt at a time will support the diff - or is it too heavy and too wobbly and would fall out without more support.

Thanks so much

Hi-desertT4R 10-25-2022 08:14 PM

That may work for the diff drop spacers but there should be, at least mine came with spacers for the skid plates where they mount to the crossmember too (the four middle bolts. Mine is a Toytec diff drop. There’s another third back mount so I don’t think it will fall out.

Syr4RinNC 10-25-2022 09:15 PM

Forgot about the skid plate drop - you’re right. I’ll have to get some heat and hope I can slowly work it back and forth with out snapping all of them. In NY we are fortunate to have state inspections so maybe I’ll ask the shop while it’s in to try to remove the skid plate for me - so question is do I trust myself or the mechanic of the day who has better tools and a lift

I do need to probably change the front diff fluid

aemravan 10-25-2022 10:26 PM

one bolt is more than enough, even partially threaded, to hold the diff in place, it won't go anywhere. As mentioned, the skid still needs to come off and be spaced down as well.

Here is an unpopular opinion from a guy who ran a diff drop kit for over a year and ultimately pulled it off... it doesn't work. Maybe if you're running a pretty big lift up front and are literally at the limit angle of your CV axles it could help, but realistically speaking, dropping the front mount points of the diff by 1" hardly results in the same drop back at the actual CV axle. Don't expect this to be some magic cure, you'll still see similar angles at full droop.

rdruss 10-26-2022 08:31 AM

The diff drops sold in US are as Amerevan says, not worth the effort. The Australians have the real deal, new brackets, etc., it really relocates the diff downward, forget the name of the company that I researched, starts with a P.

Keros 10-26-2022 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdruss (Post 3766687)
The diff drops sold in US are as Amerevan says, not worth the effort. The Australians have the real deal, new brackets, etc., it really relocates the diff downward, forget the name of the company that I researched, starts with a P.

This one?
Hilux N70 & N80 Diff Drop | Phat Bars

Rushthezeppelin 10-26-2022 07:46 PM

Have you tried at least putting some penetrating oil on those bolts first? I always start there then go to heat if need be but vast majority of the time penetrating oil and a little time works great.

rdruss 10-26-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keros (Post 3766827)

Yep, that's them!