Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Clearance problem with spider grease fittings on propeller shaft service (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308054-clearance-problem-spider-grease-fittings-propeller-shaft-service.html)

Grug556 11-07-2022 05:10 PM

Clearance problem with spider grease fittings on propeller shaft service

Guys like title says, I am having trouble getting my grease fitting inside the the two spider joints that border the transaxle. I am using a lock and lube coupler, the standard size one. Its worker great on slide yokes and far rear and front spiders. On the other two spiders the head of the grease fitting dispenser is like a fraction to wide to slide into the joint to lock onto the grease fitting. Anybody know anyway to free up some space there? Its out maybe 1mm or less. Just doesnt fit. The grease fitting itself is almost straight down so its not like I am trying to access the lock and lube coupler at a weird angle either. I think my front and rear spider joints havent never been greased by the Stealer as they cracked and popped nicely with the new grease going in. Any ideas?

Thanks!

jdm-v35 11-07-2022 05:38 PM

mine works fine. you may need to do it angled from the side so the driveshaft angling down directly doesnt reduce clearance for the grease gun fitting.

Grug556 11-07-2022 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm-v35 (Post 3768794)
mine works fine. you may need to do it angled from the side so the driveshaft angling down directly doesnt reduce clearance for the grease gun fitting.

Any chance if I say used a pry bar I could move the yoke back fractionally? The alternative was to grind down the width of the dispensing fitting. I cleaned it to, not dirt. Really puzzled why there is a clearance issue here.

jdm-v35 11-07-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grug556 (Post 3768797)
Any chance if I say used a pry bar I could move the yoke back fractionally? The alternative was to grind down the width of the dispensing fitting. I cleaned it to, not dirt. Really puzzled why there is a clearance issue here.

I just drive it an inch or two and look underneath at the position. easier and you wont break anything. I think the front spins freely if 4wd is not engaged if I remember correctly.

Grug556 11-07-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm-v35 (Post 3768803)
I just drive it an inch or two and look underneath at the position. easier and you wont break anything. I think the front spins freely if 4wd is not engaged if I remember correctly.

Its a limited..that ****er is always engaged!! Even in the ditch :D

Its also up on stands.. we got alot of work to do!!

jdm-v35 11-07-2022 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grug556 (Post 3768807)
Its a limited..that ****er is always engaged!! Even in the ditch :D

Its also up on stands.. we got alot of work to do!!

hahaha if its up on stands, put it in neutral and you can turn the driveshafts. just make sure ebrake is off lol

Grug556 11-07-2022 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdm-v35 (Post 3768808)
hahaha if its up on stands, put it in neutral and you can turn the driveshafts. just make sure ebrake is off lol

Alright... we try this next!! Thanks amigo!

mc813 11-07-2022 06:38 PM

Interested to hear if rotating slightly helps. I just greased mine last week and ran into the same issue, ended up taking off the locking coupler and putting a standard one back on to grease those since the locking coupler wouldn't fit.

Grug556 11-07-2022 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mc813 (Post 3768831)
Interested to hear if rotating slightly helps. I just greased mine last week and ran into the same issue, ended up taking off the locking coupler and putting a standard one back on to grease those since the locking coupler wouldn't fit.

Yeah..thanks Man! Put on slimmer OEM tip on the milwaukee blaster and it fit after I rotated the shaft around abit. Everything done on propeller now. Had to removed the heat shield on front side of transaxle for clearance.

Thanks guys..on to next project part now.

By the way it put out an audible alarm when on stands when in neutral. Only thing would shut it up was put key back in truck and shut door. Truck was off during this.

fkheath 11-08-2022 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grug556 (Post 3768787)
Guys like title says, I am having trouble getting my grease fitting inside the the two spider joints that border the transaxle. I am using a lock and lube coupler, the standard size one. Its worker great on slide yokes and far rear and front spiders. On the other two spiders the head of the grease fitting dispenser is like a fraction to wide to slide into the joint to lock onto the grease fitting. Anybody know anyway to free up some space there? Its out maybe 1mm or less. Just doesnt fit. The grease fitting itself is almost straight down so its not like I am trying to access the lock and lube coupler at a weird angle either. I think my front and rear spider joints havent never been greased by the Stealer as they cracked and popped nicely with the new grease going in. Any ideas?

Thanks!

My grease gun came with this to use in tight places. You do need to make sure the zerk on the drive shaft is clean, and press the tip of this tightly against the ball of the zerk.

Grug556 11-08-2022 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3768945)
My grease gun came with this to use in tight places. You do need to make sure the zerk on the drive shaft is clean, and press the tip of this tightly against the ball of the zerk.

Yeah ive seen those. Hard to use sometimes as you really have to press it in. But like you said they work.

kenwilliams0803 11-09-2022 09:58 AM

A needle grease fitting should work, but I grease mine fairly regularly and I've never had to use anything but the standard fitting. Just spin the driveshaft a little -- even if that means moving the vehicle a foot forward or back.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

honda250xtitan 11-09-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

oh man i can imagine the mess i'd make with that already

JAXJeremy 11-09-2022 10:58 AM

Greased all these fittings for the first time myself this past weekend. Up until then it had been done at the dealership (or had it??)

I'm using to greasing fittings on my old Bronco..lots more clearance there, but I didn't have any issues getting the regular grease gun fitting over the zerk..Did have to change angles a few times. No big deal..

One thing I did notice is that the u-joints seemed dry as hell..making me wonder whether they even touched them when I had previously gone in for dealer service..

lewdog998 11-09-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

thats what she said