Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   No high beam indicator after installing LED headlights (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/308055-no-high-beam-indicator-after-installing-led-headlights.html)

greembow 11-07-2022 05:11 PM

No high beam indicator after installing LED headlights

Hi there, I have a 1998 SR5 V6 without DRLs. I recently installed LED headlight bulbs and now my high beam indicator doesn't work. What should I do?

phattyduck 11-07-2022 05:44 PM

The high beam indicator is powered THROUGH the low beam filament. No low beam filament (LED) = no high beam indicator. This can sometimes cause issues with aftermarket headlight harnesses too.

Load resistor(s) are your only option, basically.

-Charlie

19963.4lsr5 11-07-2022 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phattyduck (Post 3768798)
The high beam indicator is powered THROUGH the low beam filament. No low beam filament (LED) = no high beam indicator. This can sometimes cause issues with aftermarket headlight harnesses too.

Load resistor(s) are your only option, basically.

-Charlie

My harness from Amazon keeps the high beam indicator working through the low beam coil. It’s not as bright as it would be going through the bulb.

It should be fine to power an led bulb through my harness as long as the led bulb used the stock base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brillo_76 11-07-2022 07:41 PM

using the sticky in the top of this forum you can search to see if other threads exists on a topic that you want an answer on. :-)

For example:

site:toyota-4Runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/ beam, bulbs, high, indicator, led No high beam indicator after installing LED headlights

Will result in a pile of results on this topic.

You need either a load resister or your need Leds that have resistive loads built into them that mimic an element of a bulb to have your high beams function again. As phattyduck stated.

LED bulbs in certain light circuits will cause unintended side effects and I am wondering if they can cause some circuits fuses not to work properly. As their have been instances of melt downs without the fuses blowing due to the nature of the LED being a diode and stop current from flowing or only one direction in 3rd gen 4 runners.