Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Map lights not working (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308068-map-lights-not-working.html)

proimion 11-08-2022 07:00 PM

Map lights not working

Looking for ideas as a fix for this seems expensive. My map lights on the overhead console stopped working, both when the door opens or by the push-up switch. I replaced the bulbs with no luck. It's not the fuse--and the weird little "shifter light" in the middle still works. All other interior lights work fine.

I pulled the overhead console and removed the bulb socket assembly and checked for voltage. It's a strange socket connector--removes with a quarter turn and then the voltage is delivered by two thin strips on a circuit board. I couldn't get any reading there (maybe I was doing it wrong?).

Anyway, it seems the only part I can replace is the entire overhead console assembly (minus the off-road dials), which is over $900! Here is the part: 2014-2019 Toyota 4Runner Overhead Console 81260-35651-B0 | Toyota Parts Center

emmantik 11-08-2022 07:06 PM

Did you replace the bulbs with LED's?

Are the bulbs burnt out?

fkheath 11-08-2022 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proimion (Post 3769005)
Looking for ideas as a fix for this seems expensive. My map lights on the overhead console stopped working, both when the door opens or by the push-up switch. I replaced the bulbs with no luck. It's not the fuse--and the weird little "shifter light" in the middle still works. All other interior lights work fine.

I pulled the overhead console and removed the bulb socket assembly and checked for voltage. It's a strange socket connector--removes with a quarter turn and then the voltage is delivered by two thin strips on a circuit board. I couldn't get any reading there (maybe I was doing it wrong?).

Anyway, it seems the only part I can replace is the entire overhead console assembly (minus the off-road dials), which is over $900! Here is the part: 2014-2019 Toyota 4Runner Overhead Console 81260-35651-B0 | Toyota Parts Center

On some 4Runners, like mine, the lens on the light is also an individual on/off switch for that side. Be sure to press the lens to turn it on.

proimion 11-09-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3769033)
On some 4Runners, like mine, the lens on the light is also an individual on/off switch for that side. Be sure to press the lens to turn it on.

yep--using the switch as designed.

proimion 11-09-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emmantik (Post 3769007)
Did you replace the bulbs with LED's?

Are the bulbs burnt out?

Yep--replaced with new LEDs just like the ones that were there. I had switched all interior lights to LEDs years ago and no problems for 5+ years.