Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Do anti rattle clips fall out on their own? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/308097-do-anti-rattle-clips-fall-out-their-own.html)

stevelikesrhino 11-11-2022 02:16 AM

Do anti rattle clips fall out on their own?

I have been chasing for a front end clank over bump for about a month, and finally found out it was passenger side anti-rattle clip missing. After installing the clip, the rattle is 95% gone. Over most bumps it is completely quiet, the only exception is driving down a 5 inch curb, and then it makes a tiny bit of noise.

I never thought it was the brake. I had new front pads installed by the dealer (huge discount), so I assumed they did put new anti rattle clips back on. Has anybody ever found their anti rattle clips missing when you're *certain* that you installed them correctly? or was it just a knuckle head mechanic at the dealer?

inscarguy 11-11-2022 07:08 AM

Maybe they never put them back on?

rdruss 11-11-2022 09:01 AM

Be glad you found the problem, you'll never know what happened. Be glad.

stevelikesrhino 11-11-2022 02:11 PM

Thanks for replying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inscarguy (Post 3769431)
Maybe they never put them back on?

That's what I suspect too. Can't trust dealers anymore :yield:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdruss (Post 3769442)
Be glad you found the problem, you'll never know what happened. Be glad.

I am glad I found it, it was so freakn embarrassing when I drive by the neighborhood and all you hear is *clank* *clank*

Too Stroked 11-11-2022 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevelikesrhino (Post 3769426)
I have been chasing for a front end clank over bump for about a month, and finally found out it was passenger side anti-rattle clip missing. After installing the clip, the rattle is 95% gone. Over most bumps it is completely quiet, the only exception is driving down a 5 inch curb, and then it makes a tiny bit of noise.

I never thought it was the brake. I had new front pads installed by the dealer (huge discount), so I assumed they did put new anti rattle clips back on. Has anybody ever found their anti rattle clips missing when you're *certain* that you installed them correctly? or was it just a knuckle head mechanic at the dealer?

Generally speaking, I've never had one of them fall out all by themselves. That said, it is relatively easy to incorrectly seat one of them if you're not careful with your disassembly and cleaning and have this cause one to fall out.

bob3dsf 11-11-2022 06:40 PM

If they are put in correctly, no, they won't just come out on their own. But it's possible the part that gets secured behind the slide pins isn't in the right spot.

techno 11-11-2022 09:01 PM

Mine have fallen out several times. Mostly when I've been off-road though. One time it was partially still attached but sticking out and rubbing on the inside of the rim, making an awful noise.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

stevelikesrhino 11-12-2022 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techno (Post 3769586)
Mine have fallen out several times. Mostly when I've been off-road though. One time it was partially still attached but sticking out and rubbing on the inside of the rim, making an awful noise.

Sounds like I need to get some spares...

stevelikesrhino 01-19-2023 05:08 AM

Update: left side anti rattle clip fell out, probably after the last offroad trip. So yeah they do fall out. Driver front clanks over bumps, and the noise disappear when depressing brake.

waypoint 01-21-2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevelikesrhino (Post 3779921)
Update: left side anti rattle clip fell out, probably after the last offroad trip. So yeah they do fall out. Driver front clanks over bumps, and the noise disappear when depressing brake.

The anti-rattle spring routes through the pad retaining pin...when installed correctly. Impossible for it to fall out completely, but the ends could come unclipped from the pad slots I suppose. Haven't had this happen on mine, but I've never been off-roading either.

stevelikesrhino 01-22-2023 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waypoint (Post 3780282)
The anti-rattle spring routes through the pad retaining pin...when installed correctly. Impossible for it to fall out completely, but the ends could come unclipped from the pad slots I suppose. Haven't had this happen on mine, but I've never been off-roading either.

Will check the installation this time. It might have rubbed onto something and dragged out, idk.

djpope09 01-23-2023 06:25 PM

I was having some brake grinding noise recently and took off one front wheel to inspect the pads and the anti rattle clip was missing. I'm the last one that touched the brakes and I know I installed (correctly I think). Not sure what happened to it, maybe they become brittle over time and break off?

I had extra slide pins and anti-rattle clips from the last brake job so I installed those and made sure the clip was in correctly. I guess we'll see if it falls out again. The missing clip wasn't the source of the grinding as it ended up being the rear brakes making noise, I just thought it was odd that the clip had fallen off.

highalti2d 07-02-2023 01:16 PM

I'm experiencing a similar issue with the rear anti-squeal shims falling out. I purchased a 2006 SR5 which you could hear a squeak-squeak-squeak from the left rear wheel while driving without brakes being applied.
The previous owner had the rear brakes done at a local $99 shop. Upon inspection, I found one upper anti-squeal shim missing (assumed they must have forgot to install it during the last brake job). I purchase a new shim kit at Napa and installed new pads/shims, cleaned and greased slide pins, etc.. The noise was gone and all was good.

Several months later, the squeak returned so I pulled the wheel and found both new (Napa) upper caliper shims pushed outward. I re-installed the shims and greased the slide pins which resolved the squeak. A week later, the squeak returned and I can see that the upper shim fell out and is missing.
I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any advice regarding troubleshooting this further. Thanks.

Update: I re-seated all rear anti-squeal shims (had to lightly bend some of the little tabs for a snug fit). Over 5 months have passed without any issues.