Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Weird break in. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308271-weird-break.html)

THEDK 11-22-2022 07:53 PM

Weird break in.

This happened in my driveway.
They broke in through the rear hatch. They pried up the left side of the plastic cover, and I guess fished it open. Something is broken/rattling inside but I'm not sure what.
They tossed the interior, but didn't take anything I'm aware of. They did rifle through the car registration.

They didn't touch the various charges/electronics or spare change, or even the prescription meds I had in the car. They didn't even fully toss the glove box.
My only thought is the objective was a garage door opener (they didnt touch my wifes car though) or the registration for some reason.

Oddly enough, i had TWO cameras on it, and neither saw anything happen. IT must have happened during broad daylight when we had a power outage.

I'm pretty sure I didn't have a garage remote, but I keep the door disabled all the time anyway. Just to be safe, I set it to forget every remote.

Do I need to worry about something broken in the rear hatch? Why didnt the alarm sound? Any idea what they might be doing with the registration? I mean, It's at my house, not like they needed the address.

I'm reading about registration being used for ID theft, but afaik, there's really no sensitive info on it. VIN is public. The car is at the address.

fkheath 11-22-2022 10:22 PM

Most Toyotas don't have an alarm, only a "engine immobilizer" which means that the engine cannot be started unless there is a key present.

You should report all suspicious activity to the police. They should be willing to give you guidance on whether your information has been compromised.

Your car insurance should pay for any damage that may be caused.

THEDK 11-22-2022 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkheath (Post 3771447)
Most Toyotas don't have an alarm, only a "engine immobilizer" which means that the engine cannot be started unless there is a key present.

You should report all suspicious activity to the police. They should be willing to give you guidance on whether your information has been compromised.

Your car insurance should pay for any damage that may be caused.

Thanks. Fortunately they only apparently damaged a clip holding the 4RUNNER logo/hatch panel.

The car horn does go off if you open the doors while it's locked. Maybe it doesn't apply to the hatch.