Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   CBI 4Runner Covert Baja Front Bumper? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308277-cbi-4runner-covert-baja-front-bumper.html)

IronBalaclava 11-23-2022 01:52 AM

CBI 4Runner Covert Baja Front Bumper?

Not too much info on this bumper except for one post from Jan 2021.

Anybody running one of these on your 5th Gen? How do you like it? I really dig the looks of it and have been looking for a high-end, low profile, minimalist bumper, with steel center line protection that I'll be able to mount a light bar and a winch to in the near future.

I've seen some pretty, uhm.."concerning" reviews regarding CBI in the past(I haven't checked recently) regarding quoted time frames and customer service/support. Has anything changed? I've never ordered anything from them.

It'll possibly be going on my '21 TRD ORP.

Thanks,
IB

Sundy 11-23-2022 01:11 PM

I'd just go with a TSO which looks really similar and fits well (my buddy has one I helped install), C4 lo-pro (I have one and love it), or a SSO which also has great reviews.

I'm saying this becuase I also haven't seen the CBI bumpers posted on here - assuming it's for a reason

IronBalaclava 11-24-2022 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundy (Post 3771524)
I'd just go with a TSO which looks really similar and fits well (my buddy has one I helped install), C4 lo-pro (I have one and love it), or a SSO which also has great reviews.

I'm saying this becuase I also haven't seen the CBI bumpers posted on here - assuming it's for a reason

I was really hoping things had changed.

The C4 Lo-Pro has been the 2nd choice, but it doesn't come with Powder Coating. Looks like they made some design changes as well. I'll check out the TSO and SSO offerings too.

Thing is, CBI is currently running a sale on theirs with Bull Bar, for $807.50(normally $950). That's a hell of a price, but something in me feels like I'd be getting a discount as an early "compensation" to be indefinitely delayed, and given the run around.

Asides from the wait time and potential customer service issues, how has CBI's quality been lately?

ETA:TSS compatible bull bar is a must have.

jk24runner 11-24-2022 10:12 AM

I just picked up my CBI full width bumper to replace my C4 lo-pro from powder coat yesterday. I got the aluminum version an I can tell you build quality is on point. I did not have to wait for this bumper though as my local shop had it in stock.

IronBalaclava 11-24-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk24runner (Post 3771684)
I just picked up my CBI full width bumper to replace my C4 lo-pro from powder coat yesterday. I got the aluminum version an I can tell you build quality is on point. I did not have to wait for this bumper though as my local shop had it in stock.

Lucky.

How much was powder coating roughly for both the full width CBI and the C4(since factory powder coating isn't an option)?

Did you like the C4 Lo-Pro?

trailstandardoffroad 11-25-2022 12:47 PM

Hello,

Our bumper with bullbar and powdercoating comes in at $815 shipped for our Black Friday deal. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal. Incog™ Lo Pro Bumper [ 14+ 4runner ] -

You can also get that same bumper with a lightbar for $915 on our Black Friday special. Incog™ Lo Pro Bumper Black Friday Special -

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Travis

IronBalaclava 11-25-2022 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailstandardoffroad (Post 3771804)
Hello,

Our bumper with bullbar and powdercoating comes in at $815 shipped for our Black Friday deal. I think you would be hard pressed to find a better deal. Incog™ Lo Pro Bumper [ 14+ 4runner ] -

You can also get that same bumper with a lightbar for $915 on our Black Friday special. Incog™ Lo Pro Bumper Black Friday Special -

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Travis

Travis,

Is your Lo Pro Bumper compatible with TSS and the TRD Pro Skid Plate?

Thanks,
IB

trailstandardoffroad 11-25-2022 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronBalaclava (Post 3771834)
Travis,

Is your Lo Pro Bumper compatible with TSS and the TRD Pro Skid Plate?

Thanks,
IB

Yes to both questions. For the bullbar it is above the tss. So, no worries there. For the TRD skid plate we provide some spacers to move the skid plate down 1/4” to allow the bumper to be install without making contact with the skid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronBalaclava 11-25-2022 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailstandardoffroad (Post 3771840)
Yes to both questions. For the bullbar it is above the tss. So, no worries there. For the TRD skid plate we provide some spacers to move the skid plate down 1/4” to allow the bumper to be install without making contact with the skid.

Awesome,

thanks for the quick reply, man!

t4rcementg 12-01-2022 02:12 PM

I have one on my 4runner. Install was easy and lined up really well. I really think depends on the installer. If you go to YouTube CBI has an install video that’s really good and which I followed. If you take your time, it’ll come out near perfect.
Recent photos of my T4R : 4Runner

jk24runner 12-03-2022 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronBalaclava (Post 3771765)
Lucky.

How much was powder coating roughly for both the full width CBI and the C4(since factory powder coating isn't an option)?

Did you like the C4 Lo-Pro?

Powder coat for the CBI was $296. I think I paid $400 for the lo-pro and sliders. Loved the lo-pro and would still have it if I didn’t get side swiped and my front bumper trashed by a shitty driver.

IronBalaclava 12-03-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t4rcementg (Post 3772781)
I have one on my 4runner. Install was easy and lined up really well. I really think depends on the installer. If you go to YouTube CBI has an install video that’s really good and which I followed. If you take your time, it’ll come out near perfect.
Recent photos of my T4R : 4Runner

Wow, that looks awesome!

Yeah, there are a couple vids including CBI's that seem to be pretty comprehensive. Looks like install is a bit easier if the stock bumper is removed completely. I'm super glad I watched Jason's vid here:
Toyota 4Runner CBI Covert Bumper, Winch & Light Bar INSTALL - YouTube as I'd likely cut thru the fog light wiring!

What 30" light bar did you go with? I'm looking at Diode Dynamic's SS30 and trying to decide between white and amber.

ETA: Did you get it directly thru CBI?

IronBalaclava 12-03-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk24runner (Post 3773127)
Powder coat for the CBI was $296. I think I paid $400 for the lo-pro and sliders. Loved the lo-pro and would still have it if I didn’t get side swiped and my front bumper trashed by a shitty driver.

Gotcha.

Hitting wild life or getting side swiped on a corner is/was a definite consideration. I originally wanted a full bumper with hoops and all, but with the current horrible mileage she gets(14.5 mpg), I wanted to keep the weight down to a minimal. Plus I dig the factory lines. Everything's a compromise.

Well, despite past not-so-great reviews with CBI's customer service(I had 3 email correspondences which took them a couple days to reply to each-not too bad), I jumped in to the abyss and ordered the Covert Baja Bumper with their Black Friday deal going on.

I was quoted a 4 week turnaround time(I'm REALLY not holding my breath), so I guess I'll be the latest guinea pig to see if anything has changed. :noidea:

johnnygraphic 12-03-2022 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronBalaclava (Post 3773172)
Gotcha.

Hitting wild life or getting side swiped on a corner is/was a definite consideration. I originally wanted a full bumper with hoops and all, but with the current horrible mileage she gets(14.5 mpg), I wanted to keep the weight down to a minimal. Plus I dig the factory lines. Everything's a compromise.

Well, despite past not-so-great reviews with CBI's customer service(I had 3 email correspondences which took them a couple days to reply to each-not too bad), I jumped in to the abyss and ordered the Covert Baja Bumper with their Black Friday deal going on.

I was quoted a 4 week turnaround time(I'm REALLY not holding my breath), so I guess I'll be the latest guinea pig to see if anything has changed. :noidea:

Congrats! Please post back here with update. Thank you!