Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   CEL & VSC Light on steady. (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/308336-cel-vsc-light-steady.html)

52577 11-27-2022 08:24 PM

CEL & VSC Light on steady.

Greetings ...

Today I noticed my check engine light was on steady along with VSC lights. The 4R is in really great shape 2004, V8, SR5, 60K miles., 2nd owner. All scheduled oil, filters, and other fluid changes done regularly. Hasn't needed any maintenance work.

I tried resetting the VSC lights as per the procedure thinking it might have caused the CEL. VSC went off for a second and came back on. CEL never went out. I read when the CEL comes on it disables VSC, but wanted to give it a try anyway.

It's been parked today and will have it towed it to the dealer tomorrow. I checked the gas cap, taking it off and replacing making sure it clicked tight. CEL still on steady.

I know it could be anything but I'm wondering if there are common issues around this millage that might cause the CEL to come on? Anything I can check before I take it in? Unfortunately I don't have a scan tool.

Thanks.

AuSeeker 11-28-2022 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 52577 (Post 3772072)
Greetings ...

Today I noticed my check engine light was on steady along with VSC lights. The 4R is in really great shape 2004, V8, SR5, 60K miles., 2nd owner. All scheduled oil, filters, and other fluid changes done regularly. Hasn't needed any maintenance work.

I tried resetting the VSC lights as per the procedure thinking it might have caused the CEL. VSC went off for a second and came back on. CEL never went out. I read when the CEL comes on it disables VSC, but wanted to give it a try anyway.

It's been parked today and will have it towed it to the dealer tomorrow. I checked the gas cap, taking it off and replacing making sure it clicked tight. CEL still on steady.

I know it could be anything but I'm wondering if there are common issues around this millage that might cause the CEL to come on? Anything I can check before I take it in? Unfortunately I don't have a scan tool.

Thanks.

If the gas cap o-ring is bad just re-tightening the cap may not work, I would try either removing the o-ring and flipping it over and or apply a thin coating of Vaseline to the o-ring to help it seal.

52577 11-28-2022 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuSeeker (Post 3772086)
If the gas cap o-ring is bad just re-tightening the cap may not work, ...

That was it! New gas cap fixed the CEL.