Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Can you add a set of TPMS sensors 17 4R? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308361-can-you-add-set-tpms-sensors-17-4r.html)

dedonderosa 11-29-2022 10:16 AM

Can you add a set of TPMS sensors 17 4R?

ok so after a few years of owning my 17 pro i bit the bullet and bought a new set of wheels. my question is, can you add a second set of TPMS sensors to the truck ? i want to keep the oem set in my stock wheels for winter and wanted to add a set on my new wheels. my question is can you add a 2nd set to the vehicle and do you have to reprogram every time you switch wheels back and forth? i know i could buy aftermarket sensors and program them to the same id as the factory ones if i go that route, but what if i buy oem toyota ones.

let me know thanks guys

Humble Leader 11-29-2022 11:53 AM

you can have multiple sets of tires with different TPMS sensors in them. if you buy toyota OEM sensors you will need the techstream tool or go to a dealer to have it programmed. every time you swap the tires you have to program the ECU to pick up the right sensors. I'm don't believe the 4runner can learn multiple sets of sensors and automatically know which ones are on the vehicle - my 2012 definitely doesnt do that. dealers typically charge a small fee for TPMS programs during tire swaps but if you ask nicely they often will do it for free - it takes a minute or so to do it

rct127 11-29-2022 01:07 PM

For the snow tires on my 2019, I went with aftermarket "cloneable" TPMS sensors. Since the toyota computer will only accept 4 sensor codes, rather than have to reprogram with every tire swap, the aftermarket sensors were programmed with the 4 codes copied from the factory sensors. A little more work up front, but easy tire swaps.

AK Mule 12-08-2022 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rct127 (Post 3772354)
For the snow tires on my 2019, I went with aftermarket "cloneable" TPMS sensors. Since the toyota computer will only accept 4 sensor codes, rather than have to reprogram with every tire swap, the aftermarket sensors were programmed with the 4 codes copied from the factory sensors. A little more work up front, but easy tire swaps.

Did the exact same thing. The newer 4Runners can handle two sets of codes and/or learn on their own, but the 2017 has 4 codes to match 4 TPMS. Get programable TPMS in your new wheels to match the original four from the factory. No need to get anything reprogrammed or flashed after that.

If you have a Limited, there are 5 codes, one for the spare.