Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Rear Hatch Door Lock Actuator Switch? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/308364-rear-hatch-door-lock-actuator-switch.html)

psea17 11-29-2022 02:30 PM

Rear Hatch Door Lock Actuator Switch?

So I'm planning to replace all my door lock actuators. I'm also planning to build a cargo tray for the rear hatch. I had a thought the other day. it would be much harder for someone to access the contents of the cargo draw if they can't open the rear hatch. My guess is they'd break into the front in order to use the auto door locks to unlock it. So, i'm thinking of adding a switch to the rear door door lock actuator (somewhere in the rear of the truck) so that the actuator could be disabled. then, really the only way to access the hatch area would be with a key. of course, i'm sure if given enough time they'd try a screwdriver in the key hole, but by then, i'm thinking a thief would likely move on.

i'm considering traveling to mexico and further south and would like an area in the truck that's a little more secure.

what do you think? anyone done this? any red flags you think would be a problem?

Romeo1 11-30-2022 12:04 AM

Anyone that’s serious is just going to smash the window. Out of sight out of mind is key.

psea17 11-30-2022 12:12 AM

ok, they smash the window. they still cant open the rear hatch because the door lock would be disabled.

RodrickHeffley 11-30-2022 12:42 AM

if you'd like to try it, i'd say go ahead, it makes sense to me as to why you'd want one. I would recommend maybe making some kind of "stealth tray" that matched or closely resembled the OEM carpet so it'd be less obvious.

instead of having the actual switch be in the back, I'd hide it somewhere up front. like the shift boot so you don't need to get out and go through the hassle of getting in the back and enabling/disabling it

another simple yet probably helpful thing would be to get some tint on your windows, can't see what there is to steal if you can't see inside

someone dedicated enough could and likely would be able to get in eventually, but most thefts like that are just grab and go, like you'd see in the bay area