Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   2023 heated steering wheel and back up camera (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308424-2023-heated-steering-wheel-back-up-camera.html)

Blackwatch 12-03-2022 09:17 AM

2023 heated steering wheel and back up camera

Anyone with a 2023 4R can you report on the heated steering wheel? Does it heat the entire wheel or just a couple of sections? How warm does it get?

Did the back up camera get any better? The 2022s seemed to have a much worse resolution on the camera.

JustATallDude 12-03-2022 11:16 AM

While I don't have a 23 I've been in a few. The heated wheel will cover mostly the 9 and 3 areas it will permeate a little on the sides. I'm not sure that the backup camera is any better but I really haven't paid too much attention on that. It's better on the 23 Ravs but they also have the new Toyota UI.

Blackwatch 12-03-2022 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustATallDude (Post 3773129)
While I don't have a 23 I've been in a few. The heated wheel will cover mostly the 9 and 3 areas it will permeate a little on the sides. I'm not sure that the backup camera is any better but I really haven't paid too much attention on that. It's better on the 23 Ravs but they also have the new Toyota UI.

I was hoping the top would be covered ffs.

Captain Spalding 12-03-2022 02:41 PM

The image on the backup camera may be poor, but I find that the overlay lines are accurate enough to be useful. My wife’s Atlas has a crystal clear image but the lines are treacherously inaccurate.

2021nightshade4x4 12-03-2022 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Spalding (Post 3773157)
The image on the backup camera may be poor, but I find that the overlay lines are accurate enough to be useful. My wife’s Atlas has a crystal clear image but the lines are treacherously inaccurate.

Another vehicle to compare - Range Rover Evoque (2020+) perspective is hopelessly squished. A roomy parking space in reality will appear as questionable for a motorcycle in the backup camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueRunner428 12-05-2022 04:15 AM

Mine is a 20w3

Mine is a 2023 :) The heated steering wheel heats from the about the 1 to 5 position and the 7 to 11 position. The top and bottom are not heated. In terms of how it works, IMO it works very nicely for me. So nice to get in and not have to grip a freezing steering wheel! It makes the wheel nice and warm. At first I thought they cheaped out on the wheel, but from what I understand, that is actually the standard form of heated wheel and only now are they starting to come out with wheels that heat the full 360 of the wheel.

On the backup camera, I cannot comment as to how it compares to others, but I would say its resolution is plenty clear and the lines are very accurate. They seem to line up perfectly with parking space lines, where the vehicle is dead center in between the parking lines when the camera lines overlay the parking spot ones.

The infotainment system is Toyota's older version from what I understand. The 8 inch touchscreen is not the most high crystal clear resolution, but it does seem to work very well (I've read other vehicles, even expensive ones like the Escalade, have had issues with their infotainment systems). It has Apple Carplay, Android Auto, SiriusXM, voice commands, etc...

2021nightshade4x4 12-05-2022 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRunner428 (Post 3773371)
Mine is a 2023 :) The heated steering wheel heats from the about the 1 to 5 position and the 7 to 11 position. The top and bottom are not heated. In terms of how it works, IMO it works very nicely for me. So nice to get in and not have to grip a freezing steering wheel! It makes the wheel nice and warm. At first I thought they cheaped out on the wheel, but from what I understand, that is actually the standard form of heated wheel and only now are they starting to come out with wheels that heat the full 360 of the wheel.

On the backup camera, I cannot comment as to how it compares to others, but I would say its resolution is plenty clear and the lines are very accurate. They seem to line up perfectly with parking space lines, where the vehicle is dead center in between the parking lines when the camera lines overlay the parking spot ones.

The infotainment system is Toyota's older version from what I understand. The 8 inch touchscreen is not the most high crystal clear resolution, but it does seem to work very well (I've read other vehicles, even expensive ones like the Escalade, have had issues with their infotainment systems). It has Apple Carplay, Android Auto, SiriusXM, voice commands, etc...

I’ll die on this hill - when car navigation systems stopped being produced as UNITS, removable units somewhere near a double-DIN size, the quality went to crap.

Unbranded, generic, big screens got the initial “WOW” factor, but consumers then find out the resolution is still the same as smaller screen, just stretched, so it looks worse. Like Toyota’s backup camera feed.

I understand this was necessary to take screen sizes beyond 7” but it was to the detriment of perceived (and later, measured) quality.

Chrysler FIAT was an early offender with the big square touchscreen replacing their REC and RER nav units. These were plagued with delamination issues and dead zones.

Ironically their solution in later models was to make a capacitive touch version in exactly the same size. Consumers would have a hard time telling without being in the vehicle, which is increasingly hard these days with so many buyers striking deals sight-unseen.

foxiveco24 12-05-2022 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRunner428 (Post 3773371)

Interesting about the position of the heat on the steering wheel! Can you adjusted the temperature of the heat?

xiphos 12-05-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxiveco24 (Post 3773416)
Interesting about the position of the heat on the steering wheel! Can you adjusted the temperature of the heat?

Nope, its just one single button underneath push start button. It does get nice and warm though, not too hot to touch but warm enough to keep hands nice and warm. Probably takes 2min to heat up.

WV runner 12-07-2022 10:01 PM

The heated wheel on my 23 Limited is the same as on my 22 Avalon and 22 RC 350 F Sport , sides only. Not the best option but better than none at all. My complaint is more with the heated/lukewarm seats. Toyota seems to think heated seats and steering wheel should be designed by the bean counters or lawyers to prevent a full range of warming comfort...Thall shall not be too comfortable in frigid temps if we can save a dollar off a $50K vehicle.

5thgen007 12-18-2022 01:52 PM

Alright who will be the first to install the 2023 heated wheel in 2022 and earlier models?

Quentin 12-18-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WV runner (Post 3773895)
The heated wheel on my 23 Limited is the same as on my 22 Avalon and 22 RC 350 F Sport , sides only. Not the best option but better than none at all. My complaint is more with the heated/lukewarm seats. Toyota seems to think heated seats and steering wheel should be designed by the bean counters or lawyers to prevent a full range of warming comfort...Thall shall not be too comfortable in frigid temps if we can save a dollar off a $50K vehicle.

Is it not the dial down behind the shifter? I usually set mine at around 3/4 as a steady state position because it gets too hot all the way forward. Maybe the Softex seats in my '16 TEP transfer heat better, too.

My wife's MINI heated seats are 3 stage but the first 2 stages feel like a fire hazard. Entirely too much heat.

2021nightshade4x4 12-18-2022 06:10 PM

Now all we need is the electric fuel door release like Lexus…

2000se 12-20-2022 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5thgen007 (Post 3775451)
Alright who will be the first to install the 2023 heated wheel in 2022 and earlier models?

That's what I want to know as well. Would love to have this ..

JustATallDude 12-20-2022 02:14 PM

I'm also surprised someone hasn't figured out how to put in the Highlanders new backup camera sprayer. I'm sure there's gotta be a way to get that thing to work on our rigs.