Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Tie Rod End Bushing/Boot? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/308453-tie-rod-end-bushing-boot.html)

psea17 12-05-2022 08:29 PM

Tie Rod End Bushing/Boot?

does anyone know if the boot/bushing that resides where the tie rod meets the LBJ is replaceable? trying to find a part number.

or does this require a new tie rod end?

having the same problem w/ the lbj boot. appears the only option is to replace the entire LBJ rather than reboot. there's apparently a landcruiser boot (OEM P/N 43345-69025) that might work but i've yet to find a post installation update.

brillo_76 12-05-2022 08:36 PM

If the lbj boot fails you replace the lbj. If the tie rod end boot fails you replace the tie rod end. The only thing I know that gets rebooted are cv joints as far as I know. :)

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

psea17 12-05-2022 08:49 PM

i know you can reboot (oem) upper ball joints. that's why i was a bit surprised. (cv joints and inner tie rods too iirc).

thanks!

brillo_76 12-05-2022 08:56 PM

It's a good thought. Mostly when those boots fail water can get in. If that happens you really want to just replace them. Especially that lower ball joint being with the design of them they can easily fail. The maximum play in that lower ball joint us.( .5mm ) We can't see that amount.

I know if my upper boot cracks and leaks.. I am changing my upper ball joint. I will not reboot it. :)

Zhehan 12-05-2022 09:19 PM

Brillo, you mean 0.5 mm, right? 5mm ~ 1/5 of an inch, which you would definitely notice.

brillo_76 12-05-2022 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhehan (Post 3773556)
Brillo, you mean 0.5 mm, right? 5mm ~ 1/5 of an inch, which you would definitely notice.

Yes it's .5mm. If you have 5mm you no longer have a ball joint. They pull apart way before that. I suspect it will pull apart at 1mm or less. Thanks for the correction. I put it in () so it's more clear.. :)

brillo_76 12-05-2022 09:35 PM

Tim even has a video on how to properly check those Lower ball joints. I checked mine and I am still within spec..:)