Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Order Limited with Non-Limited wheels? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/308478-order-limited-non-limited-wheels.html)

westwind77 12-07-2022 04:30 PM

Order Limited with Non-Limited wheels?

I was curious if anyone has bought or ordered a new Limited and had the dealer swap out the rims/tires for little or no cost?

From the side, I like the OEM limited rims, but that is where it ends.

I do not like how skinny they nor that you are significantly limited on tire options when you need to replace them. Plus, the cost of tires to fit those rims are also significantly higher as well.

I brought it up casually to a local dealer the other month and he made a comment about that being easy to do, but just curious if anyone has done this? I do not want the bronze ones either, ha.

Captain Planet 12-07-2022 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westwind77 (Post 3773834)
I was curious if anyone has bought or ordered a new Limited and had the dealer swap out the rims/tires for little or no cost?

From the side, I like the OEM limited rims, but that is where it ends.

I do not like how skinny they nor that you are significantly limited on tire options when you need to replace them. Plus, the cost of tires to fit those rims are also significantly higher as well.

I brought it up casually to a local dealer the other month and he made a comment about that being easy to do, but just curious if anyone has done this? I do not want the bronze ones either, ha.

They will probably sell you the wheels and tires at full price and compensate you $0 for the wheel and tire takeoff.

Buz06 12-07-2022 06:53 PM

A quick look online will show those wheels new for around $600, the Yoko G96's well over $300 mounted and balanced. Throw in TPMS and hub caps and you're up over a grand each and you have 5 of them. I have no idea what you could hope to sell them for or what a dealer would allow in trade. It's a safe bet they will want to steal them. I have the same set up on my sport and after thinking things over I decided that rather than taking the loss to just run them until the tires are shot. I did get 17's and studded snows for the winter. When you go in for service remind the dealer that the owner's manual says that trucks equipped with 20" wheels should rotate all 5.

Harrisnc 12-07-2022 09:47 PM

The way to get the 17” wheels with the least money is to sell the 20s after the fact. I sold the 5 new 20” wheels and tires off my limited for $1000.
I had 5 grey trd wheels and new tires sitting in my garage before I touch delivery.

westwind77 12-08-2022 03:03 PM

So far it does not sound like anyone has attempted this during the sale of the vehicle. The indication I briefly received was that that it would be an even swap, nothing out of pocket on my end. If I do move forward with the purchase I would negotiate the OTD price then bring up the wheel swap to see what could be done.

In the end it is not a deal breaker, but obviously something that I would want. Of course if the dealer can't recoup their money with offloading the limted rims they are not going to take the deal and I can't blame them either.

lewis26 12-08-2022 03:47 PM

Sold my 5 stock wheels and tires to discount tire for $1000, and put 4 18" Fuel Blitzes on with KO2s, and got a stealie with a cheaper tire for the spare.

Humble Leader 12-08-2022 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westwind77 (Post 3774034)
So far it does not sound like anyone has attempted this during the sale of the vehicle. The indication I briefly received was that that it would be an even swap, nothing out of pocket on my end. If I do move forward with the purchase I would negotiate the OTD price then bring up the wheel swap to see what could be done.

In the end it is not a deal breaker, but obviously something that I would want. Of course if the dealer can't recoup their money with offloading the limted rims they are not going to take the deal and I can't blame them either.

I think the dealer will make you pay (perhaps a slight discount) for new tires and rims and will happily install them for you when you take delivery. I'd wager a bet they will tell you they don't want your OEM takeoffs, they are technically used tires and there are rules depending on where you're from about selling used tires. it's too much effort for them to keep the rims and try and sell those later

I think your best bet is to negotiate new rims, tires and sensors when you buy your vehicle and sell the OEM takeoffs to a third party for like $1500 if you can. if you live in a winter tire area someone might want the rims as a winter set

westwind77 12-08-2022 10:36 PM

Looks like I have to sit down with a dealer to see if it is possible without being too much of a hassle.

Is there a decent A/T tire that people run on the Limited rims, just out of curiosity? I am not looking for anything too aggressive though.

I ran the Firestone Destination A/T's for a while and my last two sets have been the Geolandar A/T's.

I see Falken make a Wildpeak A/T for the OEM Limited rim but I have never run a Falken tire in my 30 years of driving.

NB17Limited 12-09-2022 07:45 AM

Order Limited with Non-Limited wheels?

The Falkens tend to be kind of heavy. My wife has Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws and I had the Falken Wildpeak Trails on my last vehicle. Both are solid tires and you can’t go wrong with them. That said, I am more happy with the Toyo AT3s that I have on my 4Runner. Quieter and lighter than the Falkens. They make them in the stock Limited size as well. Just need to find them in stock

Double_M 12-09-2022 08:38 AM

I currently run by 20's with Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s at a wider 275 width tire (had to slightly modify the liner using a heat gun as they slightly rubbed at full lock going in reverse) and they've run fine for the past 2 seasons and like them better for the odd fire roads/ATV roads I do a few times a year to do some backcountry exploring or camping, but am on the road for the vast majority of the time. And I do have separate set of 17's for my winter set as well, which going between seasons is kinda nice to have 2 separate looks, lols.

Humble Leader 12-09-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westwind77 (Post 3774092)
Looks like I have to sit down with a dealer to see if it is possible without being too much of a hassle.

Is there a decent A/T tire that people run on the Limited rims, just out of curiosity? I am not looking for anything too aggressive though.

on the limited 20s I think open country ATIII are probably one of the best. seen it done by a few here and looks nice. it's one of the few AT that fit the 20s

Toffees 12-09-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westwind77 (Post 3774034)

I can see that working if you get your LE at the same time they are selling another 4R with wheel upgrades, then they store your 20" wheels instead of the OEM 17"s, but as others have said above dealers like to sell upgrades without compensation for the takeoffs.

The easier path is to buy 17" takeoffs from forum members, etc., many have done this (myself included), and the only major difficultly depends on where you live.

stiles_s 12-10-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toffees (Post 3774150)
I can see that working if you get your LE at the same time they are selling another 4R with wheel upgrades, then they store your 20" wheels instead of the OEM 17"s, but as others have said above dealers like to sell upgrades without compensation for the takeoffs.

The easier path is to buy 17" takeoffs from forum members, etc., many have done this (myself included), and the only major difficultly depends on where you live.

[emoji817] this. If you have the ability to store the original wheel and tire set somewhere dry, then buy a 17” takeoff set. They are plentiful and cheap. When you want to sell or trade your limjted later (which will eventually happen) you throw the oe on and you are golden. Limited resale will be better on the 20s for all but a select set of nutjobs like us. Then resale the 17s and they were basically free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearBio 12-10-2022 02:03 PM

I believe most dealers will do it but expect to pay going price, plus a mark-up (10%?). I found that going to Discount Tire is the best, especially if you are a veteran (10% discount).

They put some OEM wheels on my Landcruiser (FJ40) at no cost when I bought tires (5).

I sold my take-offs when I went to a more aggressive tire and better-looking wheels (2019 SR5P).

Paui4m 12-11-2022 02:09 PM

I went through the same. I actually like the 20 rims but do recognize their shortcomings. I do more highway driving, but at the same time was in the mud for 3 days this weekending on a hunt trip. I have been very pleased with the balance of the Toyo AT3's. Bought a few months ago, very little additional road noise, look far better than stock and sold the stock w/ 500 miles for ~$600.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humble Leader (Post 3774149)
on the limited 20s I think open country ATIII are probably one of the best. seen it done by a few here and looks nice. it's one of the few AT that fit the 20s