Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Air Condition Problems (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/308500-air-condition-problems.html)

TannerW 12-09-2022 12:28 AM

Air Condition Problems

I wanted to post some symptoms of my air condition to see if anyone may know what the problem is. When the AC is on the highest fan setting it feels like it is blowing heat. A few months ago I did an AC recharge which seemed to help but when trying this time the digital gauge read 0 psi and would not increase. Is there anything I should check to see what may be going on?

Thanks!

daprotege5 12-09-2022 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TannerW (Post 3774105)
I wanted to post some symptoms of my air condition to see if anyone may know what the problem is. When the AC is on the highest fan setting it feels like it is blowing heat. A few months ago I did an AC recharge which seemed to help but when trying this time the digital gauge read 0 psi and would not increase. Is there anything I should check to see what may be going on?

Thanks!

they make a dye that you can inject into the system, theirs one that has the adaptor already on the can. drive around for a day or two. i picked up a UV light on amazon for $6. i eneded up putting a new unit in mine, bought the vaccum tool to get all the air out and recharged the line, has been fantastic every since.

ArthurKotb 12-09-2022 11:37 AM

If the gas pressure drops enough the compressor won't engage. You must have a leak somewhere.

Buckaroo 12-09-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TannerW (Post 3774105)

Thanks!

If you are adding refrigerant and pressure is not increasing, you have a big leak. Adding dye is the right answer and then look for the leak...should be readily apparent. Make sure you check the evaporator drain hose on the firewall.

daprotege5 12-11-2022 10:17 AM

after i found the leak, i replaced the condensor which came with a dryer, vaccummed the system and turned it on. my compressor would go no higher than 80 and than drop, i tried refilling refrigerant and no luck, still dropped pressure. bought a new compressor, redid the work, vaccum, refilled to spec, and bam has been great ever since.