Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Lexus GX470/460 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/)
-   -   How much frame rust is too much? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/308755-how-much-frame-rust-too-much.html)

BucksCo 01-01-2023 11:01 AM

How much frame rust is too much?

5 Attachment(s)
I'm in the market for a GX470. I see a good amount of them for sale with different degrees of frame rust here in the PA/NJ area.

Obviously I'm passing on ones that look like Swiss Cheese and ones that look like its just minimal surface rust are high on my list. What about the in between vehicles? Could these be cleaned up and protected with something like POR-15?

Here's a few pics of a frame of a 2005 GX that's available. Pass or worth a look in person?

wcjeep 01-01-2023 06:15 PM

Shop from out of town. California, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Florida. Why put up with rust?

rdruss 01-01-2023 06:34 PM

That's not too much IMO, but it needs attention to slow down the process.
Wire brush, sand, prime and paint,. Then use some Fluid Film or similar on the inside. The outside is usually not too bad, as in your case, but it's the inside that will be worse and if left untreated will continue until it holes through and weakens frame.
As was mentioned, if you can get one not rusted, that is best, the one you're looking at will require yearly attention.

BucksCo 01-11-2023 09:44 AM

I found a 1 owner 2007 non-nav w 185k miles and pretty much no rust. I'm picking it up this week. Full service history for the life of the car at 2 lexus dealers. Was traded in this past Oct. Super excited to be back in a real vehicle after driving a Highlander around for the past 2+ years. The build quality is night and day between the Highlander and the 4Runners/GX. You can tell the Japanese made models are built better just by opening and closing the doors.

2021nightshade4x4 01-11-2023 10:53 AM

Anyone had good results using naval jelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbtvt 01-20-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2021nightshade4x4 (Post 3778703)
Anyone had good results using naval jelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, works great. For larger areas the Klean Strip metal prep sold by the gallon is cheaper and about as effective, although does seem to flash rust more quickly after washing