Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   3rd Gen Panbar rust question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/308798-3rd-gen-panbar-rust-question.html)

j.s.powell 01-04-2023 09:24 PM

3rd Gen Panbar rust question

1 Attachment(s)
I’m in the market for my 2nd 3rd Gen 4 runner and found one I’m interested in but I’m wondering about some significant rust on the panbar and if this is a no go. Seller is asking 5k and seems to be in good shape otherwise. Some superficial rust in other places but not bad. Transmission was recently replaced with a used (salvaged) transmission after the pink milkshake deal. It’s got 201k miles on it. Any advice is most welcome. See photo of rust. Thanks! Jules in Boone, NC

JoeT4R 01-04-2023 09:44 PM

I'd be more worried about that rust on the frame directly above it than the panhard bar. That's an easy replacement if needed. Is the rest of the rig mechanically sound?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

j.s.powell 01-04-2023 10:09 PM

Yeah, seems to be. Runs great— had a transmission replaced twice— whoever put it in the first time failed to place an important bushing and the fly wheel broke 3 different occasions, so owner replaced the transmission again (different mechanic) and it seems good, although there is screeching when it starts (so maybe a fly wheel issue?)— apprehensive about that, but it’s in much better shape (especially in the undercarriage) than my 2000 four runner with 350k. We get a lot of snow in the mountains, so plenty of salt in the winter…

jgue467 01-04-2023 10:20 PM

I'd stay clear of that much rust, we all know where it is leading, why go down that path?

brillo_76 01-04-2023 11:47 PM

I would basically inspect the entire entire frame for rot. In the rust belt, that's actually normal looking for that environment and age.

Out of the rust belt, I am sure that is considered super rusty. :)

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

Endlessblockades 01-05-2023 12:47 AM

The West Coast has its issues, but salted roads would hasten my suicidal tendencies.

brillo_76 01-05-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endlessblockades (Post 3777898)
The West Coast has its issues, but salted roads would hasten my suicidal tendencies.

It's crazy what they do to the roads here. All they would have to do plow and sand. Instead they destroy the roads by melting everything which goes into the road cracks bust it up big time. Then we have pay to fix it. Granted, we do have a very bad freeze to thaw ratio as well. :/ I just wish the state would change their mind with the salt along with the calcium they use...:(

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

JoeT4R 01-05-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.s.powell (Post 3777885)
Yeah, seems to be. Runs great— had a transmission replaced twice— whoever put it in the first time failed to place an important bushing and the fly wheel broke 3 different occasions, so owner replaced the transmission again (different mechanic) and it seems good, although there is screeching when it starts (so maybe a fly wheel issue?)— apprehensive about that, but it’s in much better shape (especially in the undercarriage) than my 2000 four runner with 350k. We get a lot of snow in the mountains, so plenty of salt in the winter…

When you said "we get a lot of snow in the mountains" I had to look at your location. I've been through there before and that is GODS COUNTRY, man! Lol.