Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Experience with Falken Wildpeaks?? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/308833-experience-falken-wildpeaks.html)

Birddog1911 01-07-2023 01:53 PM

Experience with Falken Wildpeaks??

Need new tires for my 5th Gen. I've narrowed it down to a couple of models. One is the WILDPEAK A/T3W. Lots of great reviews.

But, they're heavy. What I'm wondering is if anyone has first hand experience with them, and what fuel efficiency reduction you experienced.

I'm running 285/70 R17, on factory silver wheels.

Ripper238 01-07-2023 02:58 PM

I am curious as well. Looks like it weighs over 50lbs so it will definitely effect performance but i am sure its fine since they get good reviews. Too heavy for a lot of on road IMO.

johnnygraphic 01-07-2023 05:40 PM

I had P metric Falkens on our old 3rd Gen. never had any issues. They were way better than the Michelins they replaced. Shocking especially since I’m a Michelin fan boy. A few months after we got our new ORP, we got Falken Wildpeaks, this time in E load LT tires. No issues at all. Great grip even in the rain. A little bit of hum and of course we lost a little MPG. We averaged 17+/- on a trip from the SF Bay Area to Sedona. This included a bit of around town driving and a few hours on trail. Now, in our normal day to day, we get 14-15 or so. Most of that is 10 minute in town driving. If we hit the freeways, it goes up obviously.

I’m a big Falken WP fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAST4R 01-08-2023 01:11 AM

I guess there are 1 million replies on the dedicate thread....

EDIT: I was a big fan....

I had somewhere between 7-9 P-metric Wildpeaks, never paid more than like 145/tire. At that price, they were great but they also had 2 huge flaws:

1/ Forget volcanic desert rock. Puncture after puncture regardless of pressures.
2/ Forget them lasting any mileage at all. They are fantastic for like 5,000 miles, best thing since sliced bread. They wear incredibly fast though and after 10k, you see the signs of aging and start worrying about puncture. By 20k you are pushing it.

That's with lots of offroading. If you just do forest roads, I dunno. But here in AZ they do not last at all, I think, even if you don't offroad. Maybe they are too soft and the sun/heat kills them, I don't know why.

On the bright side:
--never had a puncture outside the Sonoran desert (saw lots of Utah and Montana trails as well as Sedona area etc).
--great on the road, never felt like I had offroad tires on pavement which was a good thing.

Btw, just remembered that they are not great in gravely, sandy conditions. They grab lots of sand. My bigger, flatter blocks on the ATZ P3 handle that a lot better.

In short, great for a state like Montana with lots of rain, lost of dirt, and few actual 4x4 trails. Not suitable for AZ.

The LT version is TOTALLY different and I think a lot better suited to offroading in the desert but also very heavy and without 3ply sidewalls, so....

djdaves 01-09-2023 12:56 PM

ok so yea, with all said. Lift, accessories, 285s, I'm still getting around 15mpg. I'd have em on my 3rd gen and now my 5th gen. I followed everyone else when they got big. Also keep in mind i have 2 mall crawlers. So they look and perform great on the hard stuff.

johnnygraphic 01-16-2023 12:53 PM

With all of the rain the last few weeks, I’ve been testing out the Falkens and they’ve been performing quite nicely. Steering doesn’t pull when one side goes thru deep water and doesn’t break traction. No regrets so far. Haven’t tested in snow yet. Maybe in the next few weeks or so, I may head up to the mountains.

johnnygraphic 02-01-2023 12:17 PM

A little update on our Falkens in OEM size E rated. Got back from a week in Death Valley. Took some trails with combination of dirt, rocks and some pretty sharp rocks. Aired down to 20 psi and was not disappointed at all. Tires did not fail me at all. Saw some snow too, about 4” depth. No issues with that. However, when I hit some ice on an incline, it was slipping pretty good. Went a little sideways. Very unnerving.

saltlife66 02-05-2023 12:51 PM

30k miles on my wildpeaks and still perform great, no issues in rain,snow,sand , dirt fire roads. ill defiantly buy again when they wear out. I'm still running 265/70/17

Sejin 03-26-2023 09:54 PM

When I go to Toyota meets in Colorado, I feel like 80% of the people there have wildpeaks

BuffaloBass 05-06-2023 06:39 AM

At the other end of the country, the NE, they're great tires frankly. Fuel Milage? Last set was on a F250SD so ..? I could see how desert heat would wear them down but quick, as their winter traction is good. Rubber physics it seems, better on snow.ice, wear faster on hot tarmac.

L8Shift 05-13-2023 10:07 AM

285/70-17 Wildpeak AT3W

The Falken site list the E rated 10 ply at at 58.9 lbs; the C rated at 6 ply at 63.7 lbs.

The E rated being lighter by 4.8 lbs.. :keyboard:.
https://www.falkentire.com/wildpeak/at3w#size-list

anilbourijr 07-13-2023 08:23 AM

I have driven them and found they were a bit sensitive to PSI and a harmonic hum, after adjusting PSI down slightly they were quieter. Good traction and nice looking tire. It is possible that overinflation caused the noise.

lighty0770 08-18-2023 05:19 PM

Big fan. Had them on my 2017 JGC at a 265-65-18 and they were fantastic. Never lost grip on rocks and were amazing in the snow/ice in the mountains (Colorado). Likely going to buy another set when the 4runner arrives.

Jakeepoo3 08-18-2023 05:52 PM

They are awesome on my stock SR5 "17s. Fuel mileage didn't change enough to notice. Super strong sidewalls, no body roll with 3" lift. Took a couple days to dial in the tire pressure. 42 psi was the magic number. Corners like a sports car with 2" wheel spacers. No road noise I can hear. I'm constantly on the trail here in Ozarks national forest and they are amazing from rock to digging through man eating mud pits. Snow doesn't even phase them. I only get about 10 thousand miles out of mine but I'm always on trail and on road I drive like an adrenaline junkie. I will continue to use wildpeaks.

johnnygraphic 08-20-2023 05:31 PM

As my previous posts have said, I love these and no problems. Stock OEM size E load rated tires.

Minor update to mileage. Did an hour freeway driving and got 19.7 on the way there and 18.6 in the way back.