Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   need help for brake problem (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/309436-need-help-brake-problem.html)

HiluxSurf SSR-G 02-25-2023 01:58 AM

need help for brake problem

Vehicle: 2000 KZN185W Hilux Surf (3rd gen 4Runner)
with ABS

I had the goodridge braided brake lines (2 fronts/rear center installed in 2008) replaced with StopTech braided lines. the MC piston was also replaced with a Toyota repair kit. no problem with the brakes prior to replacement except for the brake fluid becoming dark after a few hundred km. i thought the blackening was caused by a leak in the lines somewhere so i had the 3 lines replaced. when opened, the MC had no scratches and the piston kit didn't have any excessive wear. The MC piston kit was previously replaced in 2019 using Toyota repair kit

The brakes were bled 3x and the MC was bled prior. But the pedal is still very soft with no brakes. after pumping the pedal a few times, it hardens a bit but won't hold, the pedal just goes to the floor. I also tried reusing the goodridge lines but the problem is still there.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the engine was running while bleeding.

How should I diagnose the problem?
Is there a procedure on how to bleed the abs actuator/pump?

What do you think is/are the problem and how can I solve it?
Thank you. Appreciate your inputs.

jgue467 02-25-2023 10:42 AM

Internal leak on MC?

the_welfare_wagon 02-25-2023 11:02 AM

Make sure your back brakes are adjusted properly. I didn’t have the dark fluid issue but my brakes went to the floor and once I adjusted the back brakes the pedal went back to where it should be instantly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiluxSurf SSR-G 02-25-2023 04:27 PM

what would be the symptom for an internal leak of the MC?
prior to replacing the lines, the brakes were functioning properly, except for the blackening of the fluid.
i also had the MC pistons replaced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgue467 (Post 3785560)
Internal leak on MC?

brillo_76 02-25-2023 05:11 PM

This is really sounding like the brakes aren't fully bleed properly and or the rear brake are not adjusted up properly.

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

19963.4lsr5 02-25-2023 06:15 PM

Don’t pump the brakes before opening bleeder.

Let it sit overnight and then do another gravity bleed on all 4 corners until no air bubbles are in the clear hose.

Then bleeded with the pedal by doing this until no air bubbles are seen:

Open bleeder-push pedal to the floor-close bleeder-release pedal.

I don’t like speed bleeders…..and if you don’t have a friend that can listen to instructions them buy the Motive Pro pressure bleeder.

When you pump the brakes to make pressure you make a million air bubbles that end up everywhere

Black fluid means it’s absorbing moisture.

I use the synthetic dot 3/4

when I say “no air bubbles seen” I mean after a long while.

HiLife 02-25-2023 11:27 PM

Possible air made it into the ads unit?

brillo_76 02-25-2023 11:38 PM

I have speed bleeders stainless steel ones and they work great. I can see folks not caring for them though....:)

FD7683 02-26-2023 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3785626)
I have speed bleeders stainless steel ones and they work great. I can see folks not caring for them though....:)

I heard that speed bleeders do a much better job bleeding the air out of the system than a standard 2 person method. FSM states some year model trucks need to have the engine running in order to get a precise bleeding job. I've never done it on my 2000 but my rear bleeders are s*** so I might be looking into speed bleeders. Would a power bleed be better for our trucks?

brillo_76 02-26-2023 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FD7683 (Post 3785630)
I heard that speed bleeders do a much better job bleeding the air out of the system than a standard 2 person method. FSM states some year model trucks need to have the engine running in order to get a precise bleeding job. I've never done it on my 2000 but my rear bleeders are s*** so I might be looking into speed bleeders. Would a power bleed be better for our trucks?

Very well might be better. I just have them on my 1998 and my 1997 limited. I really went to them because they are stainless which is very good in the rust belt.

I always bleed brakes with the engine running.

HiluxSurf SSR-G 02-26-2023 10:04 AM

it's possible. would you happen to know how to bleed the abs actuator/pump?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiLife (Post 3785625)
Possible air made it into the ads unit?

19963.4lsr5 02-26-2023 12:58 PM

need help for brake problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiluxSurf SSR-G (Post 3785659)
it's possible. would you happen to know how to bleed the abs actuator/pump?

Only easy way to bleed the abs is to first do a brake bleed and then activate the abs and do another bleed if your pedal gets soft.

Edit: it took me three ABS activations on wet roads before my pedal firmness felt the same before and after activation.

19963.4lsr5 02-26-2023 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo_76 (Post 3785626)

If you ever used vacuum to bleed brakes you’d see the air getting sucked in through the threads of the bleeder.

HiLife 02-26-2023 02:39 PM

I use a dirt/gravel road.
The speed sensors will pick up a brake lockup (when pressing the brakes)and run the abs pump freeing the air bubbles trapped in the abs pump. After that, I re-bleed all four brakes when I get back to the garage.

brillo_76 02-26-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 (Post 3785685)
If you ever used vacuum to bleed brakes you’d see the air getting sucked in through the threads of the bleeder.

Yup. I done it both ways. The good speed bleeders have thread lock in the threads to prevent that from occurring . That's a valid concern though....:)

Rough thread or bad machining of threads make that issue ever worse.