Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   light bar wire question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/309644-light-bar-wire-question.html)

3bears 03-12-2023 07:05 PM

light bar wire question

first ...up here light bars are called moose lights
2nd....last time i installed a moose light on 3rd gen I went direct to battery...which ment always had power
3rd...i did do a search but could not find an answer.

so im gonna install a moose light on my current 4runner (light has a relay and switch). I want it to switch off when ignition is off. I dont care if it lights on high beams..ive got a rocker and sometimes dont need the extra light on our poor headlights and dont want to use my fog light switch...as I use my fogs.

I plan to use one of those fuse taps...but not sure what fuse can handle the extra load. If I should tie into the one inside by our knees or the one under the hood...and what size fuse tap.

wont have time to play and guess. I have a garage available for 2 days ( and will be sleeping there...house sitting)...but im gonna be doing vc gaskets, fuel filter, heater control valve, rear hatch struts, a alternator, drive belts and a ps flush.. I wont have a rig to chase after parts while im down so trying to line up everything I can think of.

ohh... according to box...light pulls 15 amp max its 120 watt led using 15 gauge wire
ideas ?

so any ideas would be helpful so I can order stuff if needed

Bad Luck 03-12-2023 09:13 PM

The relay would be handling all the amperage of the light bar so the switch won’t need much. I would recommend tapping into a fuse in the cab that only has power with the key on running that to the switch then running the other side of the switch out to the relay. By tapping into a fuse that only has key on power the light bar won’t be able to stay on when the key is off so no chance of draining the battery accidentally.

Ed_C 03-13-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3787919)
The relay would be handling all the amperage of the light bar so the switch won’t need much.

^ this. If it the relay harness doesn't already have one, put a fuse at the battery + wire to the relay.

jgue467 03-13-2023 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_C (Post 3787979)
... If it the relay harness doesn't already have one, put a fuse at the battery + wire to the relay.

Best advice Possible. Right at the battery for max protection....

phattyduck 03-13-2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3bears (Post 3787893)
I want it to switch off when ignition is off.

Wire the 'power' side of the relay directly to the battery. Wire the coil side of the relay (power to the switch -> relay) to any ignition power source inside the truck. You CAN but don't NEED to put a fuse on that, since it will already be fused by the truck wiring.

-Charlie

Endlessblockades 03-13-2023 07:05 PM

Not an answer to your question, but I am getting ready to add 2 or maybe 4 little rock lights to the side rails on my roof rack (mainly so I can see how many of 'em I'm up against when I sleep in my truck out on the BLM lands). This or something like it will be handling the external wire run

I'm going to run an inside switch to hit the lights without the key in.

3bears 09-24-2023 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Luck (Post 3787919)
The relay would be handling all the amperage of the light bar so the switch won’t need much. I would recommend tapping into a fuse in the cab that only has power with the key on running that to the switch then running the other side of the switch out to the relay. By tapping into a fuse that only has key on power the light bar won’t be able to stay on when the key is off so no chance of draining the battery accidentally.

been meaning to thank you and all who replied, I did tag into the cigarette lighter wire....dont need that one..and now i have a moose light that shuts off when key off.....however...could not find a switch that said moose...wanted something different...so switch says "zombie light"

it is such a thin gauge wire but I figured if its on a 10 amp circuit with other acessories, and can handle the load of a lighter then it should be able to handle the load of a relay

brillo_76 09-25-2023 09:23 AM

Zombie light.. I like it...:)

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk