Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   VSC off, Trac Light, etc. but no check engine (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/309721-vsc-off-trac-light-etc-but-no-check-engine.html)

BigMike18 03-17-2023 06:31 PM

VSC off, Trac Light, etc. but no check engine

I see this is a pretty common problem, but majority I have found also have check engine light on. I do not have the symptom, and the lights only come off after startup and driving a bit or reaching a certain speed or rpm. Could this still be a faulty gas cap? My code reader doesnt show anything all my other numbers it reads look fine. Any ideas would be great thanks.

xtremewlr 03-17-2023 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably just needs a zero point calibration done. The below procedure is for 03-04, not sure if it's the same for newer models tho.

Quote:

VSC LIGHT ON – DTC C1203 – BR005-03 December 4, 2003
Zero Point Calibration of Yaw Rate and Deceleration Sensors Using SST 09843–18040 <-- Nothing but a couple pieces of wire that you connect to the 2 terminals on the OBD2 plug under the dash. Need to be about 12" long each.

When having replaced the yaw rate sensor, deceleration sensor or the ECU, perform the process for zero point of yaw rate and deceleration sensors as shown below.

NOTE:
While performing the zero point procedure, do not tilt, move or shake the vehicle. The vehicle must remain in a stationary condition throughout the entire process. Do not
start the engine and be sure to perform the procedure on a level surface with an inclination of less than 1%.
1. Ensure the shift lever is in “P” range.
2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
3. Using SST 09843–18040 (wires described above), repeat a cycle of short and open between terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 4 times or more within 8 seconds. Verify that the VSC indicator light is lit indicating the recorded zero point is erased.
4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
5. Be sure the terminals Ts and CG of DLC3 are disconnected.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON.
7. Check that the VSC warning light goes off about 15 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON.
8. After ensuring that the VSC warning light remains OFF for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.
9. Connect the terminal Ts and CG of DLC3 using SST 09843–18040.
10. Turn the ignition switch ON.
11. After turning the ignition switch ON, check that the VSC warning light is lit for about 4 seconds and then starts quick blinking at 0.13 second intervals.
12. After ensuring the blinking of the VSC warning light for 2 seconds, turn the ignition switch OFF.
13. Remove the SST from terminals Ts and CG of DLC3.

Confirm Zero Point Calibration:
Drive the vehicle to confirm there are no re–occurring lights or DTCs.

Zero0575 03-18-2023 06:28 PM

Is your ABS light on as well? If so, pull codes from the ABS system. Not all code readers do ABS, so you'll need one that does.

BigMike18 03-19-2023 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero0575 (Post 3789011)
Is your ABS light on as well? If so, pull codes from the ABS system. Not all code readers do ABS, so you'll need one that does.

No ABS light, just vsc trac, vsc off, and traction control

Christmas 03-23-2023 03:17 PM

Following! Mine has the same issue, but the zero calibration didn't work.

I tried the zero calibration with a long bit of wire, and again with two paperclips. I see the quoted procedure above mentions a couple of wires. Is that significant? Do two wires need to connect the terminals, or is it suggesting having a 12 inch wire come out of each, and then connect the ends of those together?

4RunnerAquasport 03-23-2023 05:22 PM

I must have done the zero cal a couple dozen times on my 03'. Kept coming back in a few days w no CEL. PIA
I already have the trac off switch installed (Here's the write up) for the vsc and trac, so I just leave it off now.

xtremewlr 03-23-2023 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christmas (Post 3789759)
Following! Mine has the same issue, but the zero calibration didn't work.

I tried the zero calibration with a long bit of wire, and again with two paperclips. I see the quoted procedure above mentions a couple of wires. Is that significant? Do two wires need to connect the terminals, or is it suggesting having a 12 inch wire come out of each, and then connect the ends of those together?

Couple of separate 12" or longer wires. You need to be able to connect/disconnect them several times during the process, per the instructions. The length is purely for your convenience so you aren't spending the whole time bent over in funny positions. Unless that's your thing...:noidea:

owens.levi 04-06-2023 06:51 PM

This happened to me when I plugged in an off-brand OBD code reader. Or rather when I unplugged it. I just rode around with the codes for awhile because I saw the zero point calibration procedure posted here and just noped right out of it. It ended up getting fixed for free after I had my Bilsteins installed. The technician only noticed the codes after the work was done, and thought it was related to the install, so he did the zero point calibration. I can't imagine it would be very expensive to have done.