Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   Front shocks - Kings, Fox, OME, other? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/309892-front-shocks-kings-fox-ome-other.html)

RaisedByWolves 03-31-2023 11:17 AM

Front shocks - Kings, Fox, OME, other?

After 60k miles with a lot of time at elev in CO, its come time to replace my front shocks. Been rocking the 2.5 toytec kit and it was OK. Looking for something a bit more plush for onroad driving as well.

Considering:
OME 2.5
Fox 2.5
Kings 2.5

Has anyone driven any combination of these that can provide insight?

Really only looking for experience with 2 or 3 of these options -- I know they're all better than OEM.

TIA

kmeeg 03-31-2023 11:33 AM

bit more plush -> Then you can probably look at ELKA 2.5DC. Price is pretty hefty though. I worked with Hugo and now he is at R4T in Denver.

ELKA 2.5 DC on 2018 Toyota 4Runner - YouTube

MAST4R 04-03-2023 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves (Post 3790881)
After 60k miles with a lot of time at elev in CO, its come time to replace my front shocks. Been rocking the 2.5 toytec kit and it was OK. Looking for something a bit more plush for onroad driving as well.

Considering:
OME 2.5
Fox 2.5
Kings 2.5

Has anyone driven any combination of these that can provide insight?

Really only looking for experience with 2 or 3 of these options -- I know they're all better than OEM.

TIA

The most sophisticated are the Bilstein 8100, check them out on the Bilstein website. I am waiting for the option with adjusters. And I drive too fast offroad as is anyway!

Speaking of which my 6112 on "650"lb springs are plenty good enough. They are absolutely NOT enough on the standard springs. Way too soft.

Usually people on expensive suspensions get big eyed at the sight of a 3" rock :)

Fox and Kings would be both great, with different variations of the theme.

I am yet to see the case for the OME, overpriced and require an unnecessarily high lift. For an adventure setup I would rather get the Dobinsons 2.25.

For rear shocks, the only off-the-shelf product that compares to the BIlstein 8100 is the Icon bypass rear shocks.

If you get 2.5 fronts and keep 2.0 rears, you can just as well carry a pair of spares and make sure there is nobody on the rear seat :)

Cheers.

NorthernSailor 04-07-2023 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmeeg (Post 3790886)
bit more plush -> Then you can probably look at ELKA 2.5DC. Price is pretty hefty though. I worked with Hugo and now he is at R4T in Denver.

ELKA 2.5 DC on 2018 Toyota 4Runner - YouTube

I'm going to +1 this. So far, the Elka 2.0's I just had installed are better than any setups I've used in the past for what OP is wanting.