Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Looking for some help on an oil leak (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/310252-looking-some-help-oil-leak.html)

MPow3r 04-30-2023 07:11 PM

Looking for some help on an oil leak

4 Attachment(s)
Hey guys/gals, looking for some help here. So, for my last oil change I changed out the filter housing to a metal one which is the only real thing that has changed and I watched it for a few days afterwards and no leaks. I glanced at some of my skid plates today and it looked like I had some oil on them. My first thought was that new housing but the leak seems to be coming from something higher. I am guessing this is the oil pump?

Has anyone seen this before? Could the new housing be causing an issue? I will probably take this to the dealer but just trying to do a bit of research first.

I have verified that it is not coming from anywhere around the top of the motor, it all seems to be clustered in that oil filter area but above the housing and seems to be pooling on some of the bolts picture below. Nothing has been done to the motor as far as repairs or modifications go.

Thanks!

Mack1611 04-30-2023 09:22 PM

Check your front main seal. I had to change mine and had leaking oil in the same general area.

MPow3r 04-30-2023 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack1611 (Post 3794864)
Check your front main seal. I had to change mine and had leaking oil in the same general area.

The more I research this, the more I think you are spot on... Thanks!!!

Jeremy556 05-01-2023 12:52 AM

It's the gasket between the oil filter housing and oil pump. The airflow in that location blows the oil all over the place, even higher than where it leaks.

Did you replace the gasket when you replaced the oil filter housing? Check torque. Did you use Toyota parts? If still in doubt, swap parts back. Front main seal leak is highly unlikely. Last thing you touched is always most likely.

I had the same leak when I had to remove my oil filter housing to replace steering rack and tried to cheap out and not replace the gasket.

thennen 05-01-2023 06:10 AM

And just to confirm, have you tried reinstalling the original housing, in case there's a tiny flaw in the metal one?

Oops - Jeremy556 already said that.

MPow3r 05-01-2023 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy556 (Post 3794891)
It's the gasket between the oil filter housing and oil pump. The airflow in that location blows the oil all over the place, even higher than where it leaks.

Did you replace the gasket when you replaced the oil filter housing? Check torque. Did you use Toyota parts? If still in doubt, swap parts back. Front main seal leak is highly unlikely. Last thing you touched is always most likely.

I had the same leak when I had to remove my oil filter housing to replace steering rack and tried to cheap out and not replace the gasket.

Yeah, this crossed my mind as well with how much airflow is in that location. Yes, I replaced the gasket but I did not use the OEM Toyota part on the housing (and I know better). I am due for another oil change so I am ordering those parts today. Thanks Jeremy!

Rocko9999 05-01-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack1611 (Post 3794864)

How hard is that to change?

Jeremy556 05-01-2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko9999 (Post 3794925)
How hard is that to change?

3.5 book hours, mostly in remove/replace radiator.
I don't recall exactly how much room is there, but you may be able to get the crank pulley off without removing the rad, and if so, much easier job. Just remove the fan/shroud, oil cooler housing and crank pulley.

nevillemurillo 05-15-2023 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy556 (Post 3794891)

Did you replace the gasket when you replaced the oil filter housing? Check torque. Did you use Toyota parts? If still in doubt, swap parts back. Then you can be sure whether the part is defective or not. When a car is unsafe and the dealer attempts to repair it and the car is not repaired after a reasonable number of attempts, then it's a lemon and you can file a lawsuit. I don't know much about this but according to this page I don't think it's a lemon. See a lemon lawyer to be sure, maybe you can sue. Front main seal leak is highly unlikely. Last thing you touched is always most likely.

hello,
I am having the same leak. I didn't use Toyota parts because it was too expensive. Now I learned my lesson.