Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   New Members (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/)
-   -   24 years later and I'm back in a 4Runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/new-members/310615-24-years-later-im-back-4runner.html)

HuskyMike 05-29-2023 10:36 AM

24 years later and I'm back in a 4Runner

Hi all,

Back in 1999, I bought a new 1999 SR5 as my first 4Runner and had the dealer install the TRD Supercharger. Loved it. Had it for 4 years and about 100,000 miles. Didn't do anything crazy with it- desert trips, hauling my dirtbike around, camping. Drove my first child- daughter- home from the hospital in it... a fact I remind her of every time we see a Desert Dune Metallic 4Runner on the road. She's almost 20 now.

(the millionth time I've told her)

"Hey Chloe... you know we brought you home from the..."

"Yes Dad... I know."

Doing a lot of backpacking now so I thought it was time to get back into something I could take further into the mountains. 4Runner was calling me back.

Thanks to a member from the other forum who is also here, @steelevo , I got a great deal on a 2023 Nautical Blue ORP. I'll post that story in a separate thread.

Here it is before a 2000 mile road trip back home to San Diego from North Dakota.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9688d40d_z.jpg

jross20 05-29-2023 10:57 AM

Awesome story.
:first:

Real talk though... definately look into getting the throttle/computer reprogrammed to get rid of that lag/eco garbage in your new 5th gen. They have some of the worst lag I've ever felt lol.

I think packages are told as tunes and such... If it removes the lag it'll make a night and day difference!

Napalm 05-29-2023 12:57 PM

Welcome back! Very cool story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuskyMike 05-29-2023 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3798816)
Awesome story.

Real talk though... definately look into getting the throttle/computer reprogrammed to get rid of that lag/eco garbage in your new 5th gen. They have some of the worst lag I've ever felt lol.

I think packages are told as tunes and such... If it removes the lag it'll make a night and day difference!

Agreed. I'm sure I'll get used it, but that was one of the first things I noticed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napalm (Post 3798826)
Welcome back! Very cool story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

BlueRunner428 05-29-2023 02:25 PM

Congrats:D Mine is the same:)

BlueRunner428 05-29-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jross20 (Post 3798816)
Awesome story.

The 4Runner has lag...? My prior vehicle was a 1998 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3 liter V6, definitely not a speed demon, but the 4Runner is faster, but I am not used to how new vehicles with powerful engines drive to know how the 4Runner compares (auto journalists constantly say how primitive the 4Runner is but it is like a sports car compared to that Jimmy, now THAT thing was stone-age:D). So basically the 4Runner will go faster if you get the throttle reprogrammed?

HuskyMike 05-29-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRunner428 (Post 3798836)
The 4Runner has lag...? My prior vehicle was a 1998 GMC Jimmy with the 4.3 liter V6, definitely not a speed demon, but the 4Runner is faster, but I am not used to how new vehicles with powerful engines drive to know how the 4Runner compares (auto journalists constantly say how primitive the 4Runner is but it is like a sports car compared to that Jimmy, now THAT thing was stone-age:D). So basically the 4Runner will go faster if you get the throttle reprogrammed?

It's fast enough for me, but the throttle mapping seems odd. I noticed it most going uphill. You had to press the pedal further... and further... to finally get it to kick down a gear. Our Sienna is similar but not as bad.

A tune can change the mapping so there is more throttle per "x" amount of pedal movement. A Pedal Commander type of device does the same thing but a tune can provide other changes.

BlueRunner428 05-29-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskyMike (Post 3798863)
It's fast enough for me, but the throttle mapping seems odd. I noticed it most going uphill. You had to press the pedal further... and further... to finally get it to kick down a gear. Our Sienna is similar but not as bad.

A tune can change the mapping so there is more throttle per "x" amount of pedal movement. A Pedal Commander type of device does the same thing but a tune can provide other changes.

You also can manually downshift it using the S mode when going uphill.

HuskyMike 05-29-2023 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRunner428 (Post 3798904)
You also can manually downshift it using the S mode when going uphill.

Yup. Did quite a bit of that.

DWilliam 06-26-2023 03:06 PM

Same here! Except I went with a 3rd gen lol

Liandri 06-26-2023 07:45 PM

Awesome story. I love that you did your first road trip in it coming back from the dealer haha. I got lucky and got my 23 from a local dealer, 23 miles back home and it sits with 28 miles now. I hope to have a road trip of my own soon!

Leith-03 06-27-2023 08:17 AM

Welcome Back! Very cool story.

Eyele6 06-27-2023 11:51 AM

Welcome back and we are glad to have you here again

prospect25 08-01-2023 02:46 PM

They didn't have any toyota dealers in San Diego?

emartnn 08-08-2023 04:11 PM

Welcome back!