Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   sport hood scoop question (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/311178-sport-hood-scoop-question.html)

3bears 07-15-2023 02:40 PM

sport hood scoop question

up here there are not many 4runners with a scoop. I have one. left factory with it. At one time I believe this rig had been owned by a enthusiast. It has some mods...including a fuel cut off switch.
however the other day I was talking to a guy who has the sport hood on his 2001, and behind the screen it is sealed with plastic...so the screen is just for show ?....mine is open to the engine bay. My screen looked identical to his.
I looked at a parts diagram and it looks like there is/was a plastic piece behind.

this past winter I zip tied a piece of plastic over the scoop screen (outside) to try to keep the cold air out ( live where it is below zero 6 months of year...with about 2 months at minus 40) I pulled it off after we got above freezing.

I like the fact mine is open in warm weather..yet prob explains why my engine gets so dusty....dont get much rain here, so have little to no water intrusion.

so was/is there a piece of plastic behind them ( the screen) ?

and if anyone has one currently apart, can they trace the screen so I can make a better fitting plastic cover, or 3d print me a cover for winter use :)

raty4R 07-15-2023 07:34 PM

here's a thread with some good pictures and how to take apart and clean the scoop.
Cytronus Build Thread (pic heavy)
I don't think the parts are available any more. You can search the web for the parts diagrams and then see if the parts are available.

Devbot 07-15-2023 07:50 PM

Yes, for gas models it is just for show and there is a black plastic insert that covers the hole. Oh diesel models it is part of the intake.
Quote:

Originally Posted by raty4R (Post 3804634)
here's a thread with some good pictures and how to take apart and clean the scoop.
Cytronus Build Thread (pic heavy)
I don't think the parts are available any more. You can search the web for the parts diagrams and then see if the parts are available.

Last I checked they still make all the pieces, oddly enough

3bears 07-15-2023 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devbot (Post 3804636)
Yes, for gas models it is just for show and there is a black plastic insert that covers the hole. Oh diesel models it is part of the intake.

Last I checked they still make all the pieces, oddly enough

thanks...i guess the previous owner removed....the number stickers on hood match the vin...so must be original hood so maybe removed the plastic part in past....like i said...one of previous owners did some mods.

btw...this rig came up from the lower 48 and prob shipped to one of the two military bases nearby...then a few military guys i guess...bought it from a guy shipping out who only owned for two years. im owner #5 according to car fax...but when I saw it...i knew it was a good one,,,and seller was trying to move fast because of his military transfer . funny...I asked if locker worked..he had never tried it and did not know what it ment...i tried it on test drive...it worked