Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Any Tips For Keeping Backup Camera Lens Clear? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313088-any-tips-keeping-backup-camera-lens-clear.html)

Rocko9999 01-22-2024 06:42 PM

Any Tips For Keeping Backup Camera Lens Clear?

Never had this issue on other vehicles but the 4Runner camera lens loves to hold onto whatever gets flung up on the road. I tried putting Rainx on it, didn't seem to help much. Anyone find something that helps keep dirt/water drops off the lens?

Saker 01-22-2024 06:51 PM

Pass your finger across it when you walk by........

///AIRDAM 01-22-2024 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko9999 (Post 3826805)
the 4Runner camera lens loves to hold onto whatever gets flung up on the road. Anyone find something that helps keep dirt/water drops off the lens?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3826808)

Thats what i do, make it a habit of wiping your finger across it when you walk by, before long you dont even think about it you just do it instinctively

DAW89446 01-22-2024 08:28 PM

I don't know if it helps any, but I wet my finger with saliva, wipe, then dry with my glasses cleaning cloth when walking by. My thinking is that it might help reduce scratch build up on the lens over time.

97BlackAckCL 01-23-2024 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saker (Post 3826808)

Exactly this, I keep fast food napkins in my glove box, and use a little water or spit and just wipe it down from time to time especially when there's winter/salt involved.

I've actually put ceramic spray on it and it doesn't do jack, so just manually cleaning it when needed

Rocko9999 01-23-2024 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL (Post 3826893)
Exactly this, I keep fast food napkins in my glove box, and use a little water or spit and just wipe it down from time to time especially when there's winter/salt involved.

I've actually put ceramic spray on it and it doesn't do jack, so just manually cleaning it when needed

Ok, so it's not just me. I tried wax, Rainx, etc. That lens just doesn't shed anything. Wipe it is.

Whippersnapper02 01-23-2024 05:43 PM

I've thought about adding an air nozzle to the hatch directed at the camera but I don't even have onboard air. Another thought is a T at the washer fluid hose for the rear glass and running it to a separate pump but I haven't paid attention to how the rear works from the tank.

Edit: Looked up how the stock stuff works and it's a separate pump for the rear.

fkheath 01-23-2024 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whippersnapper02 (Post 3826947)
I've thought about adding an air nozzle to the hatch directed at the camera but I don't even have onboard air. Another thought is a T at the washer fluid hose for the rear glass and running it to a separate pump but I haven't paid attention to how the rear works from the tank.

Edit: Looked up how the stock stuff works and it's a separate pump for the rear.

Some Mercedes cars come with little wipers and spray nozzles for the headlights.

weberlukas74 01-24-2024 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocko9999 (Post 3826805)
Never had this issue on other vehicles but the 4Runner camera lens loves to hold onto whatever gets flung up on the road. I tried putting Rainx on it, didn't seem to help much. Anyone find something that helps keep dirt/water drops off the lens?

Ever thought about slapping on a hydrophobic coating? Seriously did wonders for my camera lens! Plus, just give it a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth every now and then, and it stays crystal clear.

Evil_Ed 01-24-2024 09:12 AM

OP, same problem with mine, and also same thing - other cars with it didn't have nearly as much a problem keeping clear as this one...so, I keep some microfiber cloths in the truck, and whenever I walk past the rear I wipe it off. In winter it's really bad; even plain old rain makes it useless...

Quote:

Originally Posted by weberlukas74 (Post 3826992)
Ever thought about slapping on a hydrophobic coating? Seriously did wonders for my camera lens! Plus, just give it a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth every now and then, and it stays crystal clear.

That's what Rain-X is; it beads water and helps it run off. People apply it to their windshields and no longer need to use wipers; it works really well...but not on the rear view camera.

JustATallDude 01-24-2024 11:31 AM

Ive considered trying to install the Sequoia or Highlander read camera that has the sprayer and T'ing off of the rear wiper washer reservoir. Seems like the Sequoias would fit with just a little bit of dremelling

lewdog998 01-24-2024 12:49 PM

1 warm sunny day
1 garden hose with sprayer
1 large bucket full of sudsy water
2 hot ladies in bikinis
1 lawn chair ( a place to sit and supervise)
3 or 4 cold beers of your choice

works every time

fkheath 01-24-2024 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog998 (Post 3827022)
1 warm sunny day
1 garden hose with sprayer
1 large bucket full of sudsy water
2 hot ladies in bikinis
1 lawn chair ( a place to sit and supervise)
3 or 4 cold beers of your choice

works every time

You forgot the large beach umbrella and an ice chest filled with ice. Gotta keep those beers cold until the end.

Superjet 01-24-2024 07:26 PM

The back end of the 4Runner is like a vortex, sucking up all the dirt and grime it can driving down the road.
It's always the dirtiest part of the vehicle.

hoppyjr 01-24-2024 07:28 PM

This thread reminds me of threads on watch forums where guys post “can I wear my Rolex Submariner in the shower?”

[emoji1787]