Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Help needed for a JMD engine exchange. 2000 4Runner (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/313520-help-needed-jmd-engine-exchange-2000-4runner.html)

aa010175 03-11-2024 11:26 PM

Help needed for a JMD engine exchange. 2000 4Runner

I have a 2000 3.4L 5vz-fe with a bad engine. I purchased a JMD engine 5VZ-FE engine. I noted on the original engine on the left block side there is a round canister with 2 water hose that goes to it. One from the water pump and the other from the block. The JDM engine does not have it. What do I do? Thanks Dave

subzjc 03-12-2024 05:59 AM

Well that is the oil cooler. Is there a block-off plate where it should be?

If not I guess you would run a single piece of hose to both coolant ports.

Are there even ports for the coolant hoses to hook up?

aa010175 03-12-2024 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subzjc (Post 3831510)
Well that is the oil cooler. Is there a block-off plate where it should be?

If not I guess you would run a single piece of hose to both coolant ports.

Are there even ports for the coolant hoses to hook up?

It’s the original engine that has this round part with 2 water hoses that run to it. The newer replacement engine does not have this part. Also the water pump is different. The old water pump has the exit that runs to the round can. The new engine does not have the exit hose. Could the new engine have done away with this part?

alumarine 03-12-2024 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa010175 (Post 3831520)
It’s the original engine that has this round part with 2 water hoses that run to it. The newer replacement engine does not have this part. Also the water pump is different. The old water pump has the exit that runs to the round can. The new engine does not have the exit hose. Could the new engine have done away with this part?

Different models came with or without the oil cooler.

phattyduck 03-12-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa010175 (Post 3831503)
I have a 2000 3.4L 5vz-fe with a bad engine. I purchased a JMD engine 5VZ-FE engine. I noted on the original engine on the left block side there is a round canister with 2 water hose that goes to it. One from the water pump and the other from the block. The JDM engine does not have it. What do I do? Thanks Dave

Literally EVERYTHING on the outside of the motor needs to be swapped over from your USDM 5VZ. The engine you have is from a HiAce van, and all external components are different. All accessories/pullies, intake/exhaust manifolds, oil cooler (the thing you have a question about), mounts, wiring, etc.

-Charlie