Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   How much better are factory LED headlights ? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/313648-how-much-better-factory-led-headlights.html)

bzizzi 03-27-2024 10:40 PM

How much better are factory LED headlights ?

I have a 2020 4R with factory halogen bulbs, how much better are the newer 4R's with LED hi/low beam and HP LED fog lights ?

hoppyjr 03-27-2024 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzizzi (Post 3832789)
I have a 2020 4R with factory halogen bulbs, how much better are the newer 4R's with LED hi/low beam and HP LED fog lights ?

I own a 2022, but test drove a 2020 at night before purchase. It’s a significant difference to my eyes.

The fogs are just ok, I’d suggest saving the money and buying quality aftermarket fogs as most are plug & play.

To gain better high beam performance I turned off the DRL in the settings menu, then installed quality LED 9005 bulbs in that position. Wired them up and use as auxiliary high beams. Details in my build thread, which you can access by clicking on my username and posts started by.

osugsxr 03-28-2024 05:32 AM

Quote:

I'd recommend making the switch to the oem led headlights. It was one of the better upgrades I did. Find a used set at a good price , lighting is better and its OEM

premise 03-28-2024 06:45 AM

I think they are really good. I prefer them to my other vehicles w/ zenons.

fkheath 03-28-2024 11:28 AM

Quote:

1. The OEM LED fog lights are plug and play. Much brighter and better pattern than the H16 19 watt halogen fogs: TOYOTA LEXUS OEM GENUINE LED UPGRADE KIT PAIR SET FOG LIGHT LAMP RIGHT LEFT | eBay
Those are made in Japan. There is also and OEM fog light made in Mexico. Both are plug and play, no modifications needed.

2. Get the Lasfit LED upgrade for the 4Runner. Yes, a bit pricey, but they are wonderfully bright. Toyota 4Runner 2014-2020 Custom H11 LED Bulbs with Dust Cover | Pro-DC
The only problem with them is you may need to rotate the LED bar to get the right pattern. Those are for the low beam.

3. Since the high beam on the 4Runner is also the DRL, most LED upgrades will not work. Thus, get a high wattage (100 watts) halogen light bulb: Philips Rally Vision 9005 HB3 100W Two Bulbs Headlight High Beam High Watt Lamp | eBay

MasterFoo 03-28-2024 12:31 PM

Big improvement imo. I found my set on offer up for pretty cheap. Paid 300 for my set. Found another set for a buddy of mine for 350, still affordable. I sometimes see sets going for 500 which isnt too bad, but a tad high for me.

CutthroatSlam 03-28-2024 04:02 PM

The OEM LEDs on our 2023 ORP are nice, but the LASFIT upgrade on our 2014 SR5 are brighter and equally as good. To great irony, we have had a handful of oncoming drivers flash us the brights while in the 2023, but never while in the 2014. We believe this was due to the auto Hi Beam function on the OEM headlights in the 2023.

BlueHenT4R 03-28-2024 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CutthroatSlam (Post 3832848)
The OEM LEDs on our 2023 ORP are nice, but the LASFIT upgrade on our 2014 SR5 are brighter and equally as good. To great irony, we have had a handful of oncoming drivers flash us the brights while in the 2023, but never while in the 2014. We believe this was due to the auto Hi Beam function on the OEM headlights in the 2023.

My 2023 ORP headlights came from the factory aimed too high. I adjusted them lower and stopped getting flashed by every other oncoming driver at night. They are super bright and work a charm once properly aimed.

And as you mention, the auto high beam function is trash. It reacts much too slowly. My '21 Tacoma with the auto high beams could recognize oncoming traffic about 3 seconds faster than the 4Runner can. I don't use the feature on the 4Runner, as it's essentially useless to me.

bzizzi 03-28-2024 04:40 PM

Well, it's end of the month and the dealer made me an offer on a brand new 2024
TRD ORP W/KDSS I could not refuse, my 2020 TRD ORP and $7K out the door for everything. Vehicle has more options than my 2020 does plus LED lights, heated steering wheel, four cameras that I may or may not ever use, I like the USB-C outlets and newer version of Safety Sense. I also get a reset on my warranty and Toyota care. My 2020 is over 4 years old and warranty runs out end of the year.
I already cut them a check for difference so no vehicle payments, I pick it up tomorrow. Not really interested in the newer 4cyl Turbo engine that comes out in 2025

MasterFoo 03-28-2024 05:35 PM

thought this thread was about changing lights, it ended up being about changing trucks with new lights.

congrats on the the new truck!

Whippersnapper02 03-28-2024 05:38 PM

I buddy had a 19 and now a 23 and he has mentioned the 19 with LED replacements worked better than the factory LED lights in his 23.

plummerg 03-28-2024 06:19 PM

The new leds are way better. I now have a 15 and 23 and I see the difference all the time.

hoppyjr 03-28-2024 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MasterFoo (Post 3832857)
thought this thread was about changing lights, it ended up being about changing trucks with new lights.

congrats on the the new truck!

Yeah, I thought there was an existing thread about his swap, but I just saw another new thread. I guess he’s excited. [emoji38]

CutthroatSlam 03-28-2024 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueHenT4R (Post 3832850)
My 2023 ORP headlights came from the factory aimed too high. I adjusted them lower and stopped getting flashed by every other oncoming driver at night. They are super bright and work a charm once properly aimed.

And as you mention, the auto high beam function is trash. It reacts much too slowly. My '21 Tacoma with the auto high beams could recognize oncoming traffic about 3 seconds faster than the 4Runner can. I don't use the feature on the 4Runner, as it's essentially useless to me.

I can count on one hand the number of times we've been flashed in the 2023. It typically happened as the oncoming car was coming over the crest of a hill that we were going up. Auto highs worked, but they still flashed us. I much prefer the manual high beams.

bzizzi 03-28-2024 08:16 PM

I don't use the Auto High Beam feature, works about as good as the radar cruise control does. To me the radar cruise control on the newer 4R's is pretty much useless.