Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Problems & Warranty Issues (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/)
-   -   Both front turn signals not working...? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/problems-and-warranty-issues/39549-both-front-turn-signals-not-working.html)

Dutch 07-09-2008 07:38 PM

Both front turn signals not working...?

Hi!

I just purchased an '03. Both front turn signal lights are out; the previous owner said they'd burned out a few weeks prior, and seemed to think they didn't both blow at the same time. At $3.50/pr at autozone, I didn't make a fuss.

But after I replaced both bulbs (they were indeed blown), the flasher still ran fast, and only the rear turn signals were blinking; nothing out of the fronts. I checked the bulbs, and they're still good.

FYI, no DRL; Autozone tried to sell me the wrong bulbs until I clarified that.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Thanks!
Dutch

--
Everybody welcome the
Total 4R Newbie

erik.marr 08-17-2008 12:02 AM

I had the same thing happen to my '04 4Runner Sport with just over 81,000 miles on it.

At first my driver side signal was running fast for a day and the passenger side was fine. The next day it was reversed. On the third day both the drivers and passenger's side turn signals were not working. I replaced both of the bulbs (unlike your Runner mine has DRL), however it did not correct the problem.

I also noticed when I removed the old bulbs the filaments were still intact, however the base of the bulb looked like it was shorted out and burnt.

I called a toyota dealer and talked to a service technician, told him what happened, he seemed to think it was an electrical problem rather than a flasher/relay problem.

I took it a local toyota repair shop and brought the old bulbs with me. Though they didn't have an answer for me when I brought it in, after they diagnosed the problem they said it was the actual turn signal/drl sockets were bad. They replaced the sockets and new bulbs (not sure if the replaced ones blew again) and everything was working fine.

Total cost was about $85.00

a77boy 08-31-2008 05:35 AM

Good to know,, My turn signals sporadically act weird,, I may need to keep this in mind

MikesToy 09-03-2008 07:26 AM

i think you need to replace your flasher relays and check your fuses.

a77boy 09-03-2008 04:11 PM

will definitely check flasher relay,, I am assuming that if the fuses were blown that the blinkers would not work at all. Relay seems more plausible :D

nola4runners 10-12-2021 01:48 PM

Actually having the same issue. Blinker lights in the dash come on and I can hear the relay sound but both front blinkers don't work.