Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Front strut replacement(Bilstein) (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/39656-front-strut-replacement-bilstein.html)

Sashamil 07-13-2008 01:30 PM

Front strut replacement(Bilstein)

Hi everybody!

I own a 2000 4 runner, and its time to replace front struts. I already ordered Bilstein Heavy Duty BE5 2450 struts. As i am planning to replace them myself i did some reasrch and found that somebody had problem installing those on this car as they were (new struts) 2" longer. Dis anybody else run into this problem or they should fit without any problem if job is done %100.

Thanks

J.A. 07-13-2008 05:44 PM

I have some tips on my website, main thing is to ensure the spring seat is installed right side up.

Sashamil 07-14-2008 01:03 PM

That's awsome info will help a lot when doing the installation, but I got info that 2000 springs are shorter then 1999. Is that true? And do you recomend changing springs as my car got already 215k km. What about rubber bushing better put new ones as well?

Thanks

J.A. 07-14-2008 01:44 PM

New springs will freshen up the ride and yes ordering the 1999 part #'s will raise it about an inch, but you would have to decide if the cost is worth it. Have you noticed the aging of your springs?

Bushings, I have the ES Poly type, graphite impregnated and greasable (write up on the site as well). That is for the sway bar and the end links. They make steering rack and control arm too I believe.

jerseygeorge 07-15-2008 02:55 PM

JA - Or anyone else -

I have read every thread on suspension that I can find. I just want to replace my stock shocks (135,000) and get as good a road handling as possible.

From reading your web page you seem of the opinion that if I want the best road handling, I should put on the Addco sway bars.

A good friend added that the factory shocks are super cheap. His recommendation get a good HD shock from just about anyone, plus the sway bars, and I will be a lot happier with the ride and handling.

I have looked at OME, and Billstein. The reviews are all over the place. Some love them, some express a very hard ride when not towing, or having a super macho bumper mounted. I do not want lift, and I do not want a rock hard ride.

With your experience with the Bilstein / Addco combination would you do that again, or would you be happy with a more generic shock ie. Rancho, KYB, Tokico?

Would someone kindly put me out of my misery and help me select a shock combo?

ps. My buddy also said there should be no reason to change the springs if there is no rear end squat. There is not? Is he right?

J.A. 07-15-2008 04:44 PM

I would indeed do the bilstein/addco combo again, i have been quite happy with it.

My rear spring dont sag either so I didnt and wouldnt recommend to change them out.

You could do the addcos alone or with other shocks, for sure. The heavy duty bars control the sway or body roll. My reasoning for upgrading the shocks was simply to quicken up the rebound/compression of the shocks and to eliminate the floating type feeling on the highway.

Depends exactly on what your needs are. Try the sway bar upgrade first then decide on shocks.

Sashamil 07-16-2008 07:37 PM

Thank you so much for your info. As i said i already have struts and will be changing them in next 2 weeks. Will also be looking for prices for swayaway bar , it looks like a good idea to change them as well.

Let you know how it turns out.

jerseygeorge 07-16-2008 08:11 PM

I got what I thought was a great deal on the Bilsteins, $289 delivered, no sales tax. I also purchased the Addco sway bar kits, and the bushing set with the grease fitting. They are on their way, I will let you know how I make out. Thanks for th e input.

Qty Part No Name Price Total
--- ----------- -------------------------------------------------- ------ -------
2 BE5-2450-H0 96-02 4-Runner 4wd Bilstein Heavy Duty Front Shock $79.95 $159.90
2 BE5-2451-H0 96-02 4-Runner 4wd Bilstein Heavy Duty Rear Shock $64.95 $129.90

Sub Total : $289.80

Sashamil 07-17-2008 02:33 AM

yeah i got them for about the same price from eshocks.
where did u find a addco sway bar kits and how much was it?
have a hard time finding good price

thanks

jerseygeorge 07-17-2008 06:05 AM

I got worn out looking for super deals. I went straight to Summit Racing since so many had good experiences with them. Here are the parts numbers and prices (2001-4wd).

JG

Part Number Part Description QTY Tracking Number
Carrier: Est. Arrival
ACO-483 REAR SWAY BAR BLACK
ACO-573 SWAY BAR BLACK
ENS-9-5161G SWAY BAR BUSHING
ENS-9-5165G SWAY BAR SET BLACK

Sashamil 07-21-2008 02:53 PM

Just had one more question. When you take strut assembly appart, do u need to replace the suspension support? Is there any mount that you need or recommend replacing or you just use old parts?

01thunder 08-27-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A. (Post 332449)
I have some tips on my website, main thing is to ensure the spring seat is installed right side up.

pics are gone. i have to do my fronts and this would help.

J.A. 08-28-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01thunder (Post 1465226)
pics are gone. i have to do my fronts and this would help.

Good catch, thanks! They are fixed now. Best of luck.

01thunder 08-28-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A. (Post 1465865)
Good catch, thanks! They are fixed now. Best of luck.

the spring seat on those billies you have are different from the ones i bought. different models have different spring seats? those are thicker than mine. do i need to replace the coil mount? where do i get the bushings? dealer, parts store?

drichardson90 02-22-2015 01:58 AM

Anyone know where I can find a step by step guide on replacing the shocks? Lots of bits and pieces of info but nothing complete