Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Has anyone in the rust belt had luck with a DIY rust inhibitor? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/42425-has-anyone-rust-belt-had-luck-diy-rust-inhibitor.html)

MilesRacker 10-14-2008 05:29 PM

Has anyone in the rust belt had luck with a DIY rust inhibitor?

Just moved from Sunny SoCal to Beantown and I'd like to preserve my pristine undercarriage as long as I can with winter coming and salt on the roads.

Has anyone in a similar situation done a DIY rust-inhibiting paintjob with success?

Looking mostly for prep/product tips, so it doesn't have to be an example from a T4R...

Thanks in advance,

4Evr4RunN3R 10-14-2008 05:54 PM

i sprayed my undercarriage with rustoleum black spray paint and then sprayed rubberized undercoating on it and it still looks good two years later

christian9 10-15-2008 05:13 PM

Hey, I just bought a 2000 SR5 in Denver and moved to eastern Nebraska. I did a bunch of research and settled on POR-15.... got the cleaner, conditioner, and paint, which seems almost like epoxy. I found the best deal on ebay. I plan on doing the tow hitch (which already has some rust) and frame.... problem is I don't know what else to paint. I just don't want the rig to rust to death, which I am sure will happen if I don't protect it somehow. Anyone else have any words of wisdom?

4Evr4RunN3R 10-15-2008 05:41 PM

you can try as hard as you want, but rust is inevitable. you can slow down the process dramatically but you can never get rid of rust.

MilesRacker 10-17-2008 02:18 PM

96Runner4x4,

Just curious, did you also paint brake lines, fuel lines, control arms, etc? Or did you mainly focus on frame rails and under body?

Thanks,

4Evr4RunN3R 10-17-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MilesRacker
96Runner4x4,

Just curious, did you also paint brake lines, fuel lines, control arms, etc? Or did you mainly focus on frame rails and under body?

Thanks,

i mainly focused on the frame rails, under body, and skid plates.
take the skid plates and check on the inside just in case. drop the spare tire and coat that and where the spare tire is. the main area of focus is the rear bumper. coat the inside on all three sections because that is were all the salt will be trapped underneath. i also did the rear axle. if you can wash the undercarriage at least once a week you should be ok. i go the car wash and try to angle the gun underneath the truck to get the salt off. you can spray paint the brake lines, fuel lines, and control arms but i wouldn't recommend using the rubberized undercoat on them. before you start the process, make sure the undercarriage is clean.