Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Engines / Suspension / Wheels / Tires / Audio / Accessories (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/)
-   -   **Urban Runner Stereo Replacement Information** (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/engines-suspension-wheels-tires-audio-accessories/43345-**urban-runner-stereo-replacement-information**.html)

fish eye 11-15-2008 10:00 PM

**Urban Runner Stereo Replacement Information**

I know from personal experience that searching for information with regard to replacing the stock (Eclipse w/tomtom) stereo in an Urban Runner, that there is a very small wealth of knowledge available.

With that said, here is some extremely helpful information that will make life easy for you should you take on the task. I assume no responsibility for your actions though, and having a thorough knowledge of replacing the stereo is encouraged.

1. The trim ring that people are looking for as a possible solution for poor fitting aftermarket kits is:PZ365-35702.

I wasn't able to reuse this part with the installing of a Kenwood DNX-8120. I don't imagine that it would be a viable solution for any install. It simply doesn't fit.

I also purchased the trim ring for a JBL edition 4Runner. This too, will not work with the Urban Runner.

I ended up using the kit that has the two separate pieces that bolt onto the side of the new deck. They fit really well, and I will not look for an alternative...

2. There is no harness available for the Urban Runner, and it is not a standard Toyota harness inside the Urban Runner.

There is a jumper harness from the main vehicle harness to the Eclipse deck that comes with the Urban Runner. That harness will need to be cut and reused with the new harness from your new aftermarket stereo. It's in accordance with the same wiring color codes, so it's pretty straight forward.

3. The steering wheel controls were a little difficult to figure out. When you disconnect the stock unit, you will lose illumination on the steering wheel controls.

I installed a SWI-JACK to retain use of the steering wheel controls. The wires were a different color than a typical Toyota. Here is what I finally got to work.

a. The wire that needs to be grounded out (Pin 6 in a regular Toyota) is the light brown w/black stripe wire. Once this is grounded out, you will regain illumination on the steering wheel controls.

b. The wire that is wired directly to the white wire on the PAC SWI-JACK is the red w/yellow stripe. This is the wire that sends the signaling from the Vol up/down and Track up/down buttons on the steering wheel. This is the Pin 7 wire in a regular Toyota.

c. The wire that requires the use of the provided 150ohm resistor is the Blue w/yellow stripe. This wire is also connected to the white wire from the PAC SWI-JACK. So you will end up with two wires connected to the white wire from the SWI-JACK, one directly, and one with a resistor inline. This sends the signal from the mode button, and would normally be Pin 8.

Once you have all your connections made, follow the included instructions with great detail. It's awesome retaining the steering wheel controls....

For now, that's about all I can think of. Feel free to hit me up with questions. Special thanks to SDay River....

pipspeak 11-16-2008 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info about the SWI-Jack. Good to knwo we can get the illumination back.

I just installed a JVC navi and tried the Metra trim kit but decided I'm also gonna buy the Schose (sp?) trim kit, which seems to look a little better. My Metra kit arrived with some weird molding marks on the plastic and the textured surface does not match the smooth plastic of the 4runner dash. PITA to take it all apart again but since I have to stare at it every day a few hours work is worth it.

maaniac 01-01-2010 11:39 AM

Hi,
Im TRYing to replace the radio in my wifes 2008 Urban runner with a kenwood DNX5120 and a SWI-Jack. It seems I ran into the same problems as you did.

No one makes a plug and play harness.

I cut the harness that plugs into the factory harness. so now I have a 13 and 14 pin plugs with the wires.

Ive gotten the radio to work and all speakers but I ended up with orange(ILL),orange/white(ILL+B), pink,(SPD) white/black(Left +),blue(ANT+B),grey/brown (RIGHT+) wires left over.

I have a wiring diagram it that came in the glove box, that has helped and like you said most are colored the same

Did you end up with any extra wires after cutting the harness going into the stock Tom Tom/ eclipse radio?

I also can not get the Swi-jack to work. I believe I have it wired the same as you. My unit appears only to have one LED(not two like the describe)

I was also curious where you hooked the light green wire for the new deck to? Did you go to the e brake?

Thanks and Happy New Year

propman07 01-01-2010 06:30 PM

Hi-

Here's a link with a PDF file that I found that has the wiring diagram for the Tom-Tom harness.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/439115-post46.html

Hopefully, this will help out.

maaniac 01-01-2010 08:26 PM

Ive almost figured out where all the wires go except the left and right + ones. I read a few post and found that I need to hook the ant+B wire to my new ant wire.

Anyone know what BU+B means on the wiring diagram?

I think I have a defective pac swi jack I couldnt even get the led to light up? lol

WHen I finally figure them all out, Ill take some pics and draw up a diagram with the wire colors etc

propman07 01-01-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maaniac (Post 490051)

Ive almost figured out where all the wires go except the left and right + ones. I read a few post and found that I need to hook the ant+B wire to my new ant wire.

Anyone know what BU+B means on the wiring diagram?

I think I have a defective pac swi jack I couldnt even get the led to light up? lol

WHen I finally figure them all out, Ill take some pics and draw up a diagram with the wire colors etc

I'm pretty sure that BU +B is blue wire to the positive side of the battery.

Contact the PAC guys, that's what I had to do. They told me what I needed to hook up to what over the phone, and were very helpful. I should have written it down, and maybe I did, I'll have to look.

maaniac 01-01-2010 10:44 PM

I did email them but havnet heard back from them( I didnt think I would till the first of the year)

It would be nice to have the Pac work so We could have the steering wheel controls.

fish eye 01-03-2010 07:39 PM

maaniac,

I'm sorry I haven't gotten to you sooner. My wife is out right now, with the 4Runner.

When I have a minute, hopefully later tonight, I will remove the stereo and review my wiring. I can't recall everything in detail, except that I think I only used one of the harnesses that I cut from the original Tom Tom unit.

Check back for updates.

-fish eye

Bookmonke 01-04-2010 07:13 PM

What did you do about the bluetooth that is supposed to be in the Tom Tom unit?

ougrad1 01-07-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookmonke (Post 491268)
What did you do about the bluetooth that is supposed to be in the Tom Tom unit?

That goes away once you remove the OEM HU and you should use your aftermarket BT if it comes with one. Otherwise, you don't have BT.

maaniac 01-08-2010 08:41 PM

Thank you:}

leftyguns21 01-17-2011 12:06 PM

big thanks to the OP for this. the steering wheel wires were the only ones i couldnt figure out. youre a lifesaver.

12guns 02-17-2011 11:45 PM

Help quick!

Need the location of the wires to splice into for SWC-JACK. Were they from the small 3 wire plug or the longer unused plug? I have searched high and low and have found a few options, but none of the colors match up w/ my options! HELP! That is the last step for my install, just can't get the SWI programed w/o the right wire to splice into and what resistors to use!

Krazynative 02-21-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12guns (Post 716108)
Need the location of the wires to splice into for SWC-JACK. Were they from the small 3 wire plug or the longer unused plug? I have searched high and low and have found a few options, but none of the colors match up w/ my options! HELP! That is the last step for my install, just can't get the SWI programed w/o the right wire to splice into and what resistors to use!

This thread is for Urban Runners only as they have a different set of plugs for the wireing harness. There should be a wireing diagram that came with SWC-jack specific for your truck.

Perpen 02-08-2012 01:15 PM

09 Urban Runner Climate display

First off - THANKS for the write up!

Just put a new deck in the 09 4Runner Urban Runner and without your details it would have been a bit tricky.

But now I have a problem and need some insight. The lights for the display below the radio - the one with the trip computer and the climate control display - do not work since installing the stereo. I am sure they did before and the controls still work, but at night you can't see what temp you are setting things at.

Any ideas on what could have happened or where I should look? The truck is heading out on a trip first thing in the AM so I hope I can get it fixed today.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!