Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Need Help with Transmission shift issue on a 99 4runner... THANKS! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/43938-need-help-transmission-shift-issue-99-4runner-thanks.html)

pschmidt 12-04-2008 12:35 PM

Need Help with Transmission shift issue on a 99 4runner... THANKS!

I have a 1999 4runner sr5 4x4 with about 63k miles on it. I just drove it all the way up to Michigan from Florida with zero problems. However, since getting into the cold up here, which may be unrelated, the transmission has started acting up. It seems to be specific to only one situation...

If I roll to a stop sign and brake, then get right back on the gas as I come to a complete stop, the engine revs and the transmission sort of seems to pop out of and back into gear. The first few times it happened, I thought I had just stopped on a patch of ice and gotten wheel spin. The next day it warmed up and dryed out a bit though, and it continued. It never slips in any gear and all shifts are smooth as silk. It does not happen at every start, and does not seem ot be restricted to cold or warm operation. Any clues guys?

Thanks!

scotts97T4Rltd 12-04-2008 12:39 PM

sounds like your fluid level is low

Clemsonfan15 12-04-2008 12:42 PM

This happenes to me at least a few times a week. It is under 10 MPH for me. I just thought this was normal.

hani1400 12-04-2008 02:37 PM

It happens to me too I'm sure its the wet or icy pavement.
4runners 1st gear is very low (high torque) that's why the tires spin then the TRAC kicks in without the TRAC lights coming on do to the short spin.
I was worried when i first bought my truck then i noticed this slip on rainy summer days even with new tires.
It never happens when its dry.

Clemsonfan15 12-04-2008 05:06 PM

It happens to me under dry conditions. Now that I'm thinking about it the only time this happens is when I cross a railroad track near my house. Not sure why that is.

Charlee78 12-05-2008 06:29 AM

I would check the level of fluid in the transmission and to make sure I would compare the color of the radiator to make sure they are different. Usually, a tranny that dosen't act normally in a runner means coolant in the tranny fluid...

pschmidt 12-05-2008 12:58 PM

Well, its certainly not wheelspin, as previously stated. It may have "high torque", but its no corvette or anything. I checked the fluid level, and it seems good. It does not seem like slipping, but rather that occasionally, when stopping or stopped, it falls out of gear, then drops back in after free revving for a second. As for the Coolant in the tranny fluid... I'm not sure I understand how coolant would get into the transmission... Can you clarify Charlee? I would think that if the fluid were contaminated, the tranny would slip. Has anyone had this problem?