Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   My version of the Maplight Mod (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/48928-my-version-maplight-mod.html)

J.A. 03-30-2009 12:10 PM

My version of the Maplight Mod

Not a new modification per say as I know some of you already have this done. But this link will take you to a write up I did in regards to My version of the Maplight Mod.

This mod will add functionality to the factory maplights so that they automatically turn on when any door is opened. They add much needed lighting to the front seat area to ease entering and exiting the vehicle at night. They fade in and out just like the factory dome lighting.

Additionally I added a switch so the mod can be completly shut off as needed.

Next up is changing these maplights, as well as the complete interior, over to led lighting which I will be doing in the very near future.

Let me know if you have any questions, also if you follow this procedure to accomplish the mod yourself, let me know how it went. :)

CJ3Flyr 03-30-2009 12:17 PM

You are incredible! :bigok: That's a great write-up.
:cheers:

Mike07SE 03-30-2009 04:21 PM

Nice writeup! I'll have to try this out soon. That annoys me everytime at night how it doesn't light up.

Mtn.Rush 03-30-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mike07SE
Nice writeup! I'll have to try this out soon. That annoys me everytime at night how it doesn't light up.
Yeah me too, but I wont b/c I will somehow mess something up and just get frustrated and then nothing will get done anyway.

leftyguns21 03-30-2009 05:03 PM

that is a great write up. skills. the mod itself is not something that i will be doing but wanted to give you props on the great write up

Rolltide10 03-30-2009 05:05 PM

i checkout that site and you have got some good stuff in there

triguy74 03-30-2009 05:35 PM

i did this mod (without the switch) and it took maybe 20 mins from start to finish. very easy and makes the truck how it should have been from the factory.

nice write up!!!

pickerdd 03-31-2009 01:32 PM

This is excellent! Thanks!

Kenn 04-01-2009 01:06 AM

Props on the detailed write-up. Are you going to do the Footwell write-up?

Kenn 04-01-2009 01:18 AM

I would probably go with the A pillar tap. Which wire do I tap into? Thanks.

J.A. 04-01-2009 10:41 AM

Guys, thanks for the comps!

Kenn, the roof wire harness begins at the body ECU and is connector 1A. Pin #8 is a solid white wire connected to two other wires in a small flat ribbon type cable. It runs up the A pillar to the dome light. I believe it is the center wire in the ribbon but didnt double check this info myself.

As to the Footwell write up, yes, I am about 75% done with that. The wiring and switch is done, I just need to get the Leds. Problem is I am trying to get my footwells from vleds along with larger order to change the rest of interior lighting over to leds. Each time I go to their site a different led is out of stock, when that comes in another is oos. I really dont want to pay shipping two or three times so I am holding out. Hope to be done soon.

triguy74 04-01-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by J.A.
Guys, thanks for the comps!

Kenn, the roof wire harness begins at the body ECU and is connector 1A. Pin #8 is a solid white wire connected to two other wires in a small flat ribbon type cable. It runs up the A pillar to the dome light. I believe it is the center wire in the ribbon but didnt double check this info myself.

Yep, you're right. it's a flat ribbon cable with 3 wires. it's white with three blue stripes. the center cable is the ECU one you want.

J.A. 06-11-2009 11:27 AM

Re: My version of the Maplight Mod

Quote:

Originally posted by J.A.

Next up is changing these maplights, as well as the complete interior, over to led lighting which I will be doing in the very near future.

It's been a while but I have have been finally able to complete my Footwell Lighting Mod and change over the full compliment of interior lights to Leds. I must say it looks great. Clean, crisp, white and really bright. It is amazing the difference the maplight mod, combined with footwells and high power led interior bulbs make when entering the vehicle at night.

I've not only had to wait a long time for the leds I wanted to come off backorder, but to get the light output just right, I had to try various wattages in certain locations, return, re-order, etc. Had to re-hardwire the footwell leds twice to get it just right.

I've done substantial work on the write-ups but will need another week at a minimum to get them published. Sorry nothing more to post just a little excited to get this completed. :D

triguy74 06-11-2009 01:10 PM

anxious to see some pics and your write up. been thinking about footwell lighting myself.

CJ3Flyr 06-21-2009 02:37 PM

I just did the mod using the A-pillar tap in point. Love it! Thank-you J.A. Thanks to triguy74 for confirming the wire to tap...

I do have a question about functionality. I got a bonus IMHO. When you turn on the drivers maplight all the lights come on. When you use the passengers maplight it works as it should:confused: Is that how it works for you guys? I like it but wasn't expecting that 'feature'. Not complaining, operationally it fits my needs beautifully.

:cheers: