Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/)
-   -   dont reply to spam threads (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/57279-dont-reply-spam-threads.html)

Elton H 11-13-2009 01:01 PM

dont reply to spam threads

i did along with several others and was banned for a week not sure why ive posted a reply on other sites never got in trouble i guess :happens: and its part of the rules

Elton H 11-13-2009 07:14 PM

lots of spam today dont get suckered into replying

JohnsD90 11-13-2009 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elton H (Post 472181)
lots of spam today dont get suckered into replying

i just post in a different thread to try to limit the people from seeing them

adkinsadam1 11-13-2009 07:19 PM

A macbook air for only $550??? O. M. G. :jk:

XJeepguy 11-13-2009 07:23 PM

You sure it was that ? I cannot see anywhere in the rules where it says you cannot reply to such a post .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elton H (Post 472059)
i did along with several others and was banned for a week not sure why ive posted a reply on other sites never got in trouble i guess :happens: and its part of the rules

Elton H 11-13-2009 07:35 PM

it said banned for the following reasons posting in a spam thread something along those lines

Elton H 11-13-2009 07:40 PM

yea it makes no sense to me either

ric 11-13-2009 07:43 PM

I dont know why, you would be banned for posting in a thread thats spam, unless it was "what" you posted, that is against the rules..
maybe someone new, cant tell if the thread is spam, and posted a reply, and was banned for it, that wouldnt seem fair, but what do I know, lol

rook 11-13-2009 07:49 PM

I think it has to do with the increased work in cleaning up the thread. Mods have to delete posts individually, therefore by posting in a spam thread creates more work for them.

Elton H 11-13-2009 07:52 PM

why not just delete the whole thread ?

JohnsD90 11-13-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adkinsadam1 (Post 472185)
A macbook air for only $550??? O. M. G. :jk:

you bas****, i got excited.

JK

Kmvreter 11-13-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJeepguy (Post 472187)
You sure it was that ? I cannot see anywhere in the rules where it says you cannot reply to such a post .

You're right. I just reread them but can't find it. I'm sure it used to be in there.

Mods,
Can you point out where this is in the rules or where it went?

CJ3Flyr 11-13-2009 09:36 PM

The 7 day ban is to deter spam replies. The reason it's a "big deal" is as we scan scan for suspect posts we look at a variety of things to include who posted last in the thread. If a 'known' member replies it does a couple of things: 1) If the spammer reads the reply it reinforces his/her efforts were worthwhile, somebody read it. 2) The 'known member' reply adds legitimacy to the post and makes it harder to spot. We are volunteers and as much as we love T4R's and the board, we don't have the time or will to read every post.

That's my take on it, not Greg's or any of the other mods, I'll let them chime in. I assure you that's the concept.

I also agree some note or re-wording in the forum rules wouldn't hurt. I'll pitch for that and we'll see if it happens.

:cheers:
In the meantime enjoy and don't reply to the spam:D

CJ3Flyr 11-13-2009 09:44 PM

I just found 2 spams based on an unfamiliar username (and thread title):bluejump:

Elton H 11-13-2009 11:42 PM

i flaged 2 or 3 spam threads BUT I DIDINT POST IN THEM !!!!!!