Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Independent rear suspension (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/5876-independent-rear-suspension.html)

mike4runner 09-28-2004 04:33 PM

Independent rear suspension

I read that the 2005 nissan pathfinder has an independent rear suspension. Does anyone know what the advantages of that is compared to the 05 4runner. Also does anyone know or have an opinion on which one has the best v-6 the 05 pathfinder or the 05 4runner?

Thai 09-28-2004 05:56 PM

Independent rear suspension (IRS):

1. Good on-road ride and handling.
2. Saves space...thus, allowing for more room in 3rd row seats.
3. Possibly more ground clearance down the center of your vehicle.
4. Poor wheel travel for off-roading.
5. Generally regarded as inferior in strength to solid axle in terms of towing and hauling.
6. Ground clearance changes over rocky terrain...in contrast, a solid axle always maintain the same ground clearance.

That's all i can think of now.

As for which V6 is better...i don't know. Both are excellent i am sure. All V6's of Nissan are based on the same design, which has won awards. To be totally honest, i always trust Toyota over Nissan or Honda when it comes to powertrain. You can't go wrong with either.

Just my opinion.

mike4runner 09-28-2004 06:12 PM

Thanks,

Do you think Toyota will go with and independent rear suspension on the next generation 4runner since everyone seems to be going with the third row seat thing.

Thai 09-28-2004 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mike4runner
Thanks,

Do you think Toyota will go with and independent rear suspension on the next generation 4runner since everyone seems to be going with the third row seat thing.

Maybe, but probably not. Toyota had the chance to make this jump on the 4th gen redesign but chose to stick to the solid axle design. Toyota will always have the Highlander and RX330 for those seeking IRS. For adventure-seeking consumers, i think that the solid axle is still popular enough to attract them. But, if more parks close down and less people off-road, then Toyota will probably make the jump.

From testdrives and reading other people's opinions, i believe that Toyota knows how to make a solid axle perform well...well enough that people do not see a big difference between IRS and solid axle.