Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Longer lugs up front (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/64241-longer-lugs-up-front.html)

FoneRunner 04-01-2010 06:39 PM

Longer lugs up front

So I'm now running the FJ80 rims with 1/4" spacers and the lug nuts barely have anything to grab. Longer lugs? If so where and how?

bak3rme 04-02-2010 09:03 AM

Bump

xskydivingdudex 04-02-2010 10:04 AM

hmm thats interesting.. I know BAJArunner on YT was trying to extend his lugs not too long ago but not sure if he did it or not.

FoneRunner 04-05-2010 06:13 PM

All the way to page 5 to bump this thread...wow!

Elton H 04-05-2010 07:30 PM

why you need 1/4'' spacers ?

Duhockey 04-05-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elton H (Post 542429)
why you need 1/4'' spacers ?

cuz hes running LandCruiser wheels

Elton H 04-05-2010 07:42 PM

hmm thought they had a better backspaceing than stock

theizzardking 04-05-2010 07:53 PM

can't you just pop the studs out and get a piece of threaded rod and cut to fit?

if you can't pop the studs out and they are fixed to the hub you can grind the old ones off and tac new ones on.

really that's your only options unless they make longer ones, again back spacing may help as well, but the only chance you got to make the studs long is to replace.

FoneRunner 04-05-2010 07:58 PM

I don't think I would have to have the spacers if it weren't for the 199mm calipers...they have a snaggletooth that bites the back side of the LC rim. I dug out a pretty good groove...the spacers would have prevented that. they're only 1/4" spacers...the guys at the tire shop said to get longer studs. Just wondering if anybody here has ever done that....

theizzardking 04-05-2010 08:01 PM

is this about your spacers if so you can just get a thread pitch guage out and check the pitch of thread and the diam of the bolt and order some threaded rod.

that's also zinc plated so make sure you ordered the same thing other wise it will rust out sooner.

check here

McMaster-Carr

they should have what you need.

seriously though your fine with only 8 threads just make sure you use a tq wrench on it so it won't back off, as far as strength goes your good.
me and the 10 engineers sitting around me all confirm that's fine.

theizzardking 04-05-2010 08:02 PM

i think with the brake upgrade your meant to grind a corner off the caliper it's self, it's a cast part and won;t miss a little metal ground off the corner......

FoneRunner 04-05-2010 08:15 PM

Somebody could have mentioned grinding off the snaggletooth! Oh well...I'm not sure it's grabbing 8 threads...maybe 4....but I don't have a good way of telling for sure. The tire guys looked concerned...but I've put 4 or 5k miles on it this way so I guess it'll be ok.

theizzardking 04-06-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoneRunner (Post 542445)
the guys at the tire shop said to get longer studs.

yeah if they make longer studs i'd just get them for peace of mind, i've never ran these spacers so i don't know how the studs are attached to the hub, but from what they were saying sounds like you can just buy some longer studs, just do that and be done with it.