Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Lexus GX470/460 (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/)
-   -   2010 Lexus GX460 Consumer Reports (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/lexus-gx470-460-a/64889-2010-lexus-gx460-consumer-reports.html)

adoihcj 04-13-2010 08:51 AM

2010 Lexus GX460 Consumer Reports

Did anyone read this yet? The Associated Press: Consumer Reports calls Lexus GX460 unsafe

How long will it be until the 4Runner gets pulled into the "let's attack everything Toyota related" witch hunt???

Did anyone read the story the other day about how GM sales have increased yet Toyota and Lexus quality still proves better than anything GM has. Why doesn't this make the headlines.

fxoffroad 04-13-2010 08:55 AM

I'm not a big fan of Consumer Reports... but yikes... that's... what's the word... alarming?

I guess the question for most of us is... did they test the 2010 4 Runner as well... I assume they'd push that out to the media too if the results were bad.

Personally... having been in a GX460... the inside is cool like a LX... but the exterior... I just don't get it. The 4R looks significantly cooler. Maybe I don't make enough $$$ to appreciate the GX... though I do all right w/ my ES.

Jtraskell 04-13-2010 08:58 AM

Sounds like a software glitch.....

adoihcj 04-13-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtraskell (Post 546692)
Sounds like a software glitch.....

That's exactly what I was thinking. VSC engaged quickly for me in the snow, so I cannot figure out why there would be a delay ...

WRM1 04-13-2010 09:39 AM

Don't forget that these are the same people who used to test cars handling at speed by turning the steering wheel and then taking their hands off. I read Consumer Reports for the reliability and quality ratings, and ignore most of the testing data, as the tests are often poorly designed and not based on reality, despite their protestations to the contrary.

dwulffusa 04-13-2010 10:10 AM

Consumer Reports slams GX460

Are they kidding, thats the best drift I have seem in a big SUV in a long time, perhaps ever.

Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Don't Buy: Safety Risk--2010 Lexus GX 460

wjamyers 04-13-2010 10:12 AM

consumer reports cannot be trusted. they are rabidly anti-SUV and known to lie.

screw them.

Clemsonfan15 04-13-2010 10:18 AM

Good find, but it is a repost.

dwulffusa 04-13-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemsonfan15 (Post 546720)
Good find, but it is a repost.

Sorry then, I just saw it on today's uploads on Jalopnik, and didnt see a subject line on this forum relating to it, so figured it was recent.

Mods welcome to remove this.

wjamyers 04-13-2010 11:15 AM

CR has zero credibility, particularly when it comes to SUVs.

adoihcj 04-13-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skel (Post 546722)
I agree, why can't something positive make the news? Couple of observations:

"But Shenhar said in the case of the GX460, the stability control took too long to adjust, causing a risk of rolling over."

"However, Consumer Reports said it is not aware of any reports of the vehicle rolling over. The magazine said it tested two separate vehicles, both of which experienced the problem, but neither rolled over."

I understand technology has advanced and there are safety features built into vehicles these days, but it's getting to the point where the media spins the stories on outlying scenarios to make the manufacturer look bad. If I were paying $50k-$60k for this vehicle would I expect properly functioning ESC? Yes. Maybe the "Don't Buy: Safety Risk" label is fine. But they should state more of the facts--give more details about the test and the likelihood of the scenario occurring--what is the speed, what are the conditions? Don't just say ESC comes on late. Let's not forget, this is a great safety feature that manufacturers' are providing as a function to help to prevent accidents. They do not take responsibility off of the driver. With that in mind, I actually think that the "Don't Buy" part of the label is a bit harsh. :boxer:

Viral Default Player

After seeing the video you posted, I understand what they are saying now. If you were to go into a turn and the vehicle went off the payment, it "may" roll over. In their test, the vehicle did not go off the pavement. Therefore, I can understand what they are saying.

HOWEVER, the big issue here is that they DO NOT apply the brakes!!! I do not see the brake lights go on. In a real world situation, the average driver would also be applying the brakes in this type of a situation. Are they saying they do the exact same test with ALL SUVs (meaning, they do not apply the brakes on those either)?

This report is EXTREMELY missleading if you ask me ...

Cornfed 04-13-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxoffroad (Post 546690)
I guess the question for most of us is... did they test the 2010 4 Runner as well... I assume they'd push that out to the media too if the results were bad.

4Runners tested OK.

Consumer Reports calls Lexus GX 460 unsafe - Yahoo! News

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahoo Article
The GX 460 is built on the same platform as the Toyota 4Runner, but Consumer Reports said the problem did not occur during similar tests on the 4Runner. According to Toyota's Web site, both vehicles are about six feet tall but the GX 460 is about 3 inches taller.

snap315 04-13-2010 11:23 AM

I also searched this site without finding a previous post about this.

Seems Toyota is really having a bad time.

Consumer reports isn't even close to being fair and balanced when it comes to certain types of vehicle and manufacturers. Despite that, for them to come out with this and say the GX is an actual Safety Risk is quite severe.

:(

dekeman 04-13-2010 11:25 AM

I'm a bit surprised at all the CR bashing. Yes, they have issues and they, like most major media, are far from perfect, as is Car and Driver, Road and Track, you name it.

But the finding is interesting nevertheless. Is it baseless? We don't know. Is it going to kill anyone? Doubtful. But it's something that's good to know and discuss. Other factors could even have come into play here, such as tire pressure, tire temp, or wrongly calibrated stability control.

What's also going to be interesting is Toyota's response to this latest bit of bad news.

For what it's worth, Reuters reports that CR said no other SUV had slid as far as the Lexus in its recent testing, including the Toyota 4Runner.

jharris2 04-13-2010 11:27 AM

Since this thread is not for the 5th gen 4Runner, it will be merged with the existing thread in the Lexus forum.