Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   4th Gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Ignition Key won't turn!! (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/6611-ignition-key-wont-turn.html)

ToyDiehard 11-10-2004 10:14 AM

Ignition Key won't turn!!

Have you ever gotten into your 4Runner, go to turn the ignition key, and it just won't turn? (Imagine installing someone elses key into your ignition, that's what it feels like). I don't try to force it. Instead, I remove the key a couple times and try again. A few tries later it finially turns easy and starts.

I've had my 04 Runner for about 6 weeks now and have experienced this same problem only twice, but Im afraid of being stranded somewhere. Anyone else ever experience this same problem?

sharp4runr 11-10-2004 10:25 AM

Never happened to me. Have the dealership reprogram all your keys. It sounds like maybe it's not picking up the embedded chip at first then realizes its the right key for your truck.

Does the key turn, but nothing happens? Or you put the key, but it can't turn at all. If it can't turn, then it's seems like a mechanical problem. But if the key turns, but nothing happens that's probably the litte transponder chip.

tkr128 11-10-2004 10:26 AM

It could be the steering wheel lock. If you turn your steering wheel after you turn of the ignition, it locks the steering wheel and makes it difficult to turn the ignition key until you "free" the steering wheel a little bit. Just turn your steering wheel a little to "free" it and hold it in that position and turn the ignition key.

If not, I have no idea what could be the problem.

Thai 11-10-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tkr128
It could be the steering wheel lock. If you turn your steering wheel after you turn of the ignition, it locks the steering wheel and makes it difficult to turn the ignition key until you "free" the steering wheel a little bit. Just turn your steering wheel a little to "free" it and hold it in that position and turn the ignition key.

Yup, this has happened to me in the past. In fact, i solve this "problem" on a lady's Tacoma once. She couldn't turn the ignition...and i couldn't either until i wiggled the steering wheel.

JasonM 11-10-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

This happened with my last 2 vehicles every now and then, and that solution worked every time :cool:

Northof49 11-10-2004 12:32 PM

Quote:

:iagree: Sometimes if the wheels themselves are nudge'd up against a curb or something it'll make it harder to turn the steering/get the key to turn, but usually just wiggling the wheel back and forth works.

ToyDiehard 11-10-2004 02:43 PM

Well the key doesn't turn at all so I'm not expecting it to be the chip.

I've had the "steering wheel jamb thing" happen in my 93 Runner so I know what that feels like and this is not that.

It really feels as if the key is not cut right, but 98% of the time it's fine.

I will however check the pressure on the steering wheel the next time it happens.

Thanks for the help.:p

Northof49 11-10-2004 03:57 PM

Does your spare or valet key work any better?

ToyDiehard 11-10-2004 04:27 PM

Since both incidences caught me off guard, I wasn't prepared with my extra set of keys. I will be next time however.

AK602 11-10-2004 04:45 PM

As a former toyota service advisor i can tell you that the ones who picked the steering lock are correct. just grab the steering wheel with your left hand and nudge it back and forth while you turn the key, even happends on mu Supra, common on alot
of foreign vehicles, happens to my runner alot.

tkr128 11-10-2004 10:57 PM

Sounds like you have the problem my friend has with his Camry. Sometimes he can't start his car for days until the ignition magically works again. It's a 2004 that he's taken back quite a few times with no fix.

AK602 11-10-2004 11:11 PM

there is no fix because there is nothing wrong, as a former mechanic of 15 yrs i can tell you that it is the steering lock acting the way all foreign car steering locks have been for 20 years.
nissan bmw honda and so on have the same issue

jharris2 11-11-2004 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by AK602
there is no fix because there is nothing wrong, as a former mechanic of 15 yrs i can tell you that it is the steering lock acting the way all foreign car steering locks have been for 20 years.
nissan bmw honda and so on have the same issue

I've also had it happen on Ford, GM, and Chrysler products. It's just that the steering wheel lock is doing its job just a bit too well.

jcee76 12-02-2004 01:19 AM

I totally know what you mean

I'm having that exact same problem you are having with my '01 sr5 4runner. I know exactly what you mean. What I do I just pull the key out and push the alarm button and just keep trying. After 3-4 times I usually get it started. Its very annoying tho. And I have this problem 3 to 4 times a week.

Everyone thinks its the steering wheel lock. But I know what that steering lock is and thats not the case. Im going to try to find a solution. If you find one let me know.

jcee76 12-02-2004 01:29 AM

a possible solution

Check out this link this may be a possible solution..

http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...ges/53066.html