Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   fog light -> headlight concerns (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/67094-fog-light-headlight-concerns.html)

eliteguarding 05-31-2010 06:10 PM

fog light -> headlight concerns

first off thank you to everyone who has helped me so far on my quiest to the most badass 4runner ever. JK! iv had my 4runner for like a year and a half and i had done nothing to it and now im on the road to making it 100 times better

last weekend i got the fog light relay switch changed so i can turn my fog lights on and off whenever i can independant of the headlights. (which btw i recommend to everyone, i just got back from the beach where i had 3 other 4runner owners ask me about it.) today i went to the local discount auto store place and picked up the silver star ultra light for them. i wanna begin using my fog lights as my headlights but i have 3 main concerns.

1) iv heard the foglights are pointed down some? or they are not level with the road?
2) will these be bright enough to be used as my headlights?
3) how the HELL do i change them out? a local body shop??

thank you so much!
Omar

Jesse1983 05-31-2010 09:24 PM

1. Seriously? Yes they point down to illuminate the road when driving in fog.
2. No, they aren't headlights.
3. Haven't changed mine yet but they probably twist to unlock.

And what year runner do you have?

pkang414 05-31-2010 09:38 PM

My 2010 4Runner's fog lights are independent of the headlights...anyone else's?

mpaquette 05-31-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkang414 (Post 568944)

Mine are as well.

semperfly 05-31-2010 09:45 PM

i believe my headlights have to be on in order to turn on the fog lights

westwind77 05-31-2010 10:06 PM

Headlights HAVE to be on before fog lights can be on. I did like the ability in my last SUV to run just my fogs without my headlights, but then again I did not have the DRL on that one.

Jesse1983 06-01-2010 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkang414 (Post 568944)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpaquette (Post 568946)
Mine are as well.

are you guys referring to the orange, rectangular driving lights, or the yellow, circular fog lights?

SeattleMike 06-01-2010 10:46 AM

My Trail Edition requires my headlights to be on in order to turn on my (round) fog lights. The amber Daytime Running Lights (DRL) can be turned on and off but they are not intended to be fog lights.

fxoffroad 06-01-2010 10:57 AM

the original poster states they've had their 4runner "for like a year and a half" - unless there was a magical pre-release that I missed, I doubt they have a 5th Gen.

Yes you can operated Fog lights "independently" - though they are "dependent" on having the headlights on in order to do so.

Is this a whacked thread or what?

:AK47:

Jesse1983 06-01-2010 11:13 AM

You can mod the fog light relay to operate them independently, but to the best of my knowledge the 5th gen has done away with the dedicated fog light relay.

ThirdToy 12-19-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse1983 (Post 569060)
You can mod the fog light relay to operate them independently, but to the best of my knowledge the 5th gen has done away with the dedicated fog light relay.

This is something I am definitely interested in doing. I performed this mod in my 4thGen, where I could independently turn on my fog (round) lights without the headlights being on. Has anyone done this yet on the 5th? It is my understanding that the 5th does not have a dedicated fuse.

Also looking to do the 12v mod where there is power to the outlet regardless of whether or not the engine is on. Has anyone done this as well?? :hungry:

Mtn.Rush 12-19-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxoffroad (Post 569056)
the original poster states they've had their 4runner "for like a year and a half" - unless there was a magical pre-release that I missed, I doubt they have a 5th Gen.

Yes you can operated Fog lights "independently" - though they are "dependent" on having the headlights on in order to do so.

Is this a whacked thread or what?

:AK47:

yes it is strange. The DTRL (orange square) are not your fogs and will go on with the stalk position on auto or just marker lights on. Once the headlights are turned on with the auto feature or manualy the DTRL (orange square) lights will turn off and your Fog light (clear round) light will be on. You can turn them off if you want but without some kind of modification your clear round fog lights wont be on without your headlight being on.......

J.A. 12-19-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse1983 (Post 569060)

They have NOT done away with the dedicated fog lamp relay and the mod should be similar to the third and 4th gens.

Jesse1983 12-20-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.A. (Post 672187)
They have NOT done away with the dedicated fog lamp relay and the mod should be similar to the third and 4th gens.

ok, so where is the dedicated fog relay? because I haven't found it.

J.A. 12-20-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse1983 (Post 672453)
ok, so where is the dedicated fog relay? because I haven't found it.

Driver side junction box.