Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   3rd gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Replacing steering wheel with another Toyota/Lexus model steering wheel (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/67900-replacing-steering-wheel-another-toyota-lexus-model-steering-wheel.html)

LexusFTW 06-23-2010 01:54 PM

Replacing steering wheel with another Toyota/Lexus model steering wheel

Has anyone replaced their 4runner steering wheel with one from another model Toyota or Lexus?

I know some of the GS or GX lexus steering wheels had wood trim that would look nice with the wood trim in the 4Runner. Has this ever been done?

steve- 06-23-2010 05:18 PM

I have not seen a steering wheel swap done on a Runner but anything is possible given enough money/time.
Air bag connection though would be a problem unless you plan on not having one anymore.
Here at the Lexus dealership I work at I have seen lots of take-off steering wheels and your right they would look pretty nice in a Runner.

LexusFTW 06-23-2010 05:51 PM

Any idea if the 4Runner has a single or dual stage airbag?

BROOKLYN 06-23-2010 06:31 PM

i have a lexus/toyota steering wheel with wood. it would fit most toyota's and lexus 03-up. i bought it with intention to install on the runner it seems to fits fine never went threw with the process but wood didnt match with the grey fake wood around the truck it would of looked cheezy.

Skybill 06-24-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve- (Post 577220)
....Air bag connection though would be a problem unless you plan on not having one anymore..

So has anyone just taken their air bags out?

I'd love to get rid of mine.

Qyota 06-24-2010 09:47 AM

Why would you do that? They are proven life-savers!

techno 06-24-2010 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skybill (Post 577391)
So has anyone just taken their air bags out?

I'd love to get rid of mine.

HA!
Natural selection at work folks...

Skybill 06-24-2010 02:21 PM

I'm just an obstinate SOB....The government says I have to have them therefore I want them out!

ChildrenOfBodom 06-24-2010 03:22 PM

IF there's one that does swap in, use the same airbag connector, etc, like an actual direct swap, then I'd consider it because I'd LOVE some steering wheel controls for my radio! It's not a problem getting those to work, but I need a wheel with them first.

Qyota 06-24-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom (Post 577560)
IF there's one that does swap in, use the same airbag connector, etc, like an actual direct swap, then I'd consider it because I'd LOVE some steering wheel controls for my radio! It's not a problem getting those to work (brother's a car audio maniac) but I need a wheel with them first.

Ditto.

LexusFTW 10-23-2012 12:24 PM

Bumping this to the top for more info.

ChildrenOfBodom 10-23-2012 12:40 PM

I guess the ultimate issue with doing steering wheel swaps is the airbag. The airbags from other steering wheels are designed for different types of vehicles with different crumple zones, etc... which ultimately means that the airbag is designed to fire at a certain time that may not correspond to that of the 3rd gen.

Wouldn't want too early or too late of a deployment. If anyone can find information regarding the specific fire rate or whatever, we can find the closest match and hope for the best.

EDIT: Here's a thread I posted about this exact subject: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...heel-swap.html

Ed_C 10-23-2012 06:46 PM

Splines on the column should be the same. I met a Lexus tech with a 1st-gen Tundra who put a woodgrain LS400 steering wheel and kept the original Tundra airbag. I've also seen a Tundra using the same tri-spoke TRD steering wheel that's been used in Supras,MR2s,etc. so the splines must be the same.

Wilson0 10-25-2012 05:38 AM

Hi everyone am also have similar problem and i want to say that i bought a car only just tow months ago and i don't satisfied with its steering i want to replace it and buy new one if anyone recommend me good shop than i will appreciated him on this operating.

johndavidbush 03-06-2017 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello folks, I've seen a lot of hit and miss info on the Lexus steering wheel swap. It's something I've wanted since I bought my 4th Gen and after talking to a Toyota tech I ordered a used GX470 wheel. The swap was very easy (just remember the airbag is literally an explosive device, haha) and I had it done in about 40 minutes.