Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   how big of a tire can i fit on my 2nd gen? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/70263-how-big-tire-can-i-fit-my-2nd-gen.html)

924runnerSR5 08-19-2010 10:02 PM

how big of a tire can i fit on my 2nd gen?

was wondering if i can fit 33x10.5x15 bfg mud terrain km2 on a stock 2nd gen 4runner. no lift kit nothing. will they just not fit or will they just rub a little with a little modding can fix. help is appreciated

ty much

TopElement 08-21-2010 03:26 PM

31's are about the max for stock height and gearing. Is this just for looks?

ChucktownFalcon 08-22-2010 12:16 AM

33s

I've got BFG 33 all terrain on my 95 with no lift and love it. Just had to hack about 3" off the front corner wheel well. Its what you see as my avatar.

Tornadom 08-22-2010 01:27 AM

A 33x10.50 tire can in some cases fit on a stock height vehicle, provided you are using the stock rims as well. The KM2 has relatively large shoulder tread blocks and will more than likely require you to lift the 4Runner slightly, or trim areas that rub. The most common place to rub on the front end is the mud flap - which is easily removed - and on a seam that runs inside of the inner fender well. The seam can be folded over flat so that there is a minute amount more clearance, but the better bet is to adjust your torsion bars (if only seeking tire clearance and not overly concerned with droop travel and/or ride quality) or install ball joint spacers and longer shocks.

I am a firm believer in raising your vehicle as little as possible to get away with the tire size you intend to run. With that said, mount a set of 33x10.50r15s to your rims, bolt the rims to the truck and watch for rubbing. If the rubbing is minimal and only under certain (rare) circumstances, you may not need to do anything. If the rubbing occurs slightly along the seam inside the fender well under suspension compression, then look into bending the seam flat.* If the tires rub fairly regularly, then you will need to raise the front end via adjusting the torsion bars (22mm wrench, lots of solvent, and about 12 turns per inch of adjustment) or installing the aforementioned ball joint spacers.

If you have 4.56 gearing right now, you will probably be okay with 33x10.50 tires, although 4.88 gearing is optimal. If you have 4.10 or 4.30 gears you may want to consider a re-gear, or swapping 3rd members with someone looking for your ratio (and who has the 4.88s you desire).

I'm actually looking to install a set of 33x10.50r15 KM2s on my stock rims in the coming weeks. I went ahead and got 1.5" ball joint spacers, longer shocks and and a differential drop kit just to make sure I am covered. So, why would I advocate lifting as little as possible, then turn around and buy a 1.5" lift kit for my truck, even though it may not be needed after flattening the seam and/or minor trimming? Kind of makes me sound hypocritical, no? My reason is simple: install the ball joint spacers for more travel, trim as needed, flatten the seam and then let some tension out of the torsion bars so they ride nice and soft (and subsequently will allow decent flex off road). When all is said and done I hope to have 33" tires on stock rims, at or near stock ride height with 1.5" more suspension travel, a softer ride and close to stock CV axle angles. Your goal may vary.

*link to flattening the seam in the fender well: Pinch Weld and new 33x10.5 tsl's - YotaTech Forums

2004Runner4x4 08-22-2010 02:28 AM

I've always thought and been told 33x10.50s fit stock with minor pinch weld hammering and trimming of the front valance. 12.50's is where problems are enountered.

Richard_ 08-22-2010 03:51 PM

33's on my 1st gen rub on the sway bar at full lock , ball joint spacer and 15x8 rims in the future

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...0.jpg~original

fourwd1 08-22-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopElement (Post 599598)
31's are about the max for stock height and gearing. Is this just for looks?

X2,

Anything bigger will require some sort of modification, whether it's suspension work, cutting sheetmetal, etc.

924runnerSR5 08-23-2010 11:14 PM

i like the looks but i wanna go muddin and love driving in snow

TopElement 08-24-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 924runnerSR5 (Post 600857)
i like the looks but i wanna go muddin and love driving in snow

Then 31's should suit you just fine, and not require lower gearing to get the power back.

fourwd1 08-24-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopElement (Post 601130)
Then 31's should suit you just fine, and not require lower gearing to get the power back.

That's a very good point. People forget that bigger tires are going to cause a loss of MPG and power if you don't regear. 31's are a good compromise.

YoungGun 05-31-2016 01:17 AM

Great info, as someone who bought a project truck to take off road to actually use the mods I mean to do, youre explaination of what and why was really appreciated!

BigRyan1986 06-01-2016 10:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I had 33's on mine and wheeled it with minor rubbing. As stated above i did trim the corner of my fenders though In the last pic i think you can see where it was trimed

_ExpeditionMan 06-02-2016 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 924runnerSR5 (Post 598834)
was wondering if i can fit 33x10.5x15 bfg mud terrain km2 on a stock 2nd gen 4runner. no lift kit nothing. will they just not fit or will they just rub a little with a little modding can fix. help is appreciated

ty much

I have a set of 33x10.50 BFG AT2 tires on stock wheels and suspension on mine. No rubbing at all, but I think this also has to do with how much your suspension is sagging. As far as I know my torsion bars are not cranked. That being said I have yet to compress the suspension enough to see if it tucks properly.

Chuckles89 06-02-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ExpeditionMan (Post 2377275)
I have a set of 33x10.50 BFG AT2 tires on stock wheels and suspension on mine. No rubbing at all, but I think this also has to do with how much your suspension is sagging. As far as I know my torsion bars are not cranked. That being said I have yet to compress the suspension enough to see if it tucks properly.

Sweet truck!

Madogmis 02-13-2017 01:43 AM

Hello, sorry to bring this up but will 265 70 17 tires and rims fit my stock 91 runner?