Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   TSB (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/tsb/)
-   -   EG003-03 02/24/2003 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/tsb/77382-eg003-03-02-24-2003-exhaust-system-sulfur-smell.html)

CBR_GUY_IA 07-12-2009 11:04 PM

EG003-03 02/24/2003 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell

ENGINE
EG003-03

February 24, 2003

Title:
SULFUR ODOR FROM EXHAUST

Models:
All Models

Introduction

Some owners of Toyota vehicles may experience a sulfur-like or "rotten egg" odor from the exhaust system. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil from which gasoline is refined and the amount of sulfur can be decreased through the refining process. The amount of sulfur in fuel sold in California is regulated, however gasoline sold in other states can have substantially higher sulfur content. Sulfur content also varies considerably between gasoline brands and locations.

Applicable Vehicles^ All Models.

Repair Procedure

A sulfur odor emitted from the vehicle's tailpipe does not necessarily indicate that there is an issue with the engine's running condition, but is most likely directly related to the fuel.

^ If the vehicle is exhibiting an excessive sulfur odor, the following checks should be performed:

^ If the MIL light is ON, check for DTCs and repair as necessary.

If no trouble is found after performing the above check, recommend the customer try a different source of fuel.

Replacement of oxygen sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors or catalytic converters will not reduce the odor and will therefore not be considered warrantable.

Warranty Information

mdrudy 04-23-2011 10:41 AM

Does anybody know if there is a newer or an updated TSB on the sulphur smell issue? This one (2003) says replacing different parts will not fix it and that it's not warranty work.

I just read a thread last night where a Skyak got his catalytic converters replaced under warranty on the sulphur TSB. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?t=87919

Any thoughts?

TwoPairsofBoots 06-13-2011 07:09 PM

I was having the same sulphur-smell issue. I called my local dealer with the TSB number, but he wanted to research it first. Turns out he came up with a different TSB (darn, I didn't ask for which one).

I brought the 4R in last week and got my catalytic converter replaced under the 80,000-mile Emissions Warranty. There are 1-2 air flow sensors installed in the converter; mine were stuck, so they ordered new ones and also covered those under warranty. Final bill would have been nearly $2,600.

Honestly, now that it's done, I think I preferred how it smelled before. But I figure that since I got the parts replaced at 42K miles, these parts will just last me that much longer.

My local mechanic said he'd charge me $100 to re-route the tailpipe off to the side, instead of out the back. I'll be doing that later this month. Hopefully that helps reduce the exhaust that gets sucked back into the cabin.

christys100 07-25-2011 06:23 AM

Thanks for sharing!

christys100 07-25-2011 06:31 AM

Hello

You have described nicely..thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by CBR_GUY_IA (Post 429752)
ENGINE
EG003-03

February 24, 2003

Title:
SULFUR ODOR FROM EXHAUST

Models:
All Models

Introduction

Some owners of Toyota vehicles may experience a sulfur-like or "rotten egg" odor from the exhaust system. Sulfur is a natural component of crude oil from which gasoline is refined and the amount of sulfur can be decreased through the refining process. The amount of sulfur in fuel sold in California is regulated, however gasoline sold in other states can have substantially higher sulfur content. Sulfur content also varies considerably between gasoline brands and locations.

Repair Procedure

A sulfur odor emitted from the vehicle's tailpipe does not necessarily indicate that there is an issue with the engine's running condition, but is most likely directly related to the fuel.

^ If the vehicle is exhibiting an excessive sulfur odor, the following checks should be performed:

If no trouble is found after performing the above check, recommend the customer try a different source of fuel.

Replacement of oxygen sensors, air/fuel ratio sensors or catalytic converters will not reduce the odor and will therefore not be considered warrantable.

Warranty Information

MICA4R 09-01-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBR_GUY_IA (Post 429752)
ENGINE
EG003-03

February 24, 2003

Title:
SULFUR ODOR FROM EXHAUST

Models:
All Models

Introduction

Repair Procedure

Warranty Information

is there a TSB for 2008

snowy 09-28-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MICA4R (Post 856945)
is there a TSB for 2008

Ditto here. 2008 SR5 w/V8 w/serious amonia smell if back window open (can't drive w/back window open). I can't find TSB for more recent versions but it sounds like the same symptom. I have just assumed it was design flaw in aerodynamics that forces exhaust into cabin under way, but would love a better solution than "don't do that" if there is one.

Snowy

scullyjohn 01-10-2012 07:33 PM

amonia / sulfur smell

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowy (Post 874582)
Ditto here. 2008 SR5 w/V8 w/serious amonia smell if back window open (can't drive w/back window open). I can't find TSB for more recent versions but it sounds like the same symptom. I have just assumed it was design flaw in aerodynamics that forces exhaust into cabin under way, but would love a better solution than "don't do that" if there is one.

Snowy

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting this smell issue resolved? I have a 2008 SR5 V8 4WD that I got about 6 months ago and have had it serviced twice - both times the dealer has stated that they cannot reporduce the issue though they have noted it on the service records...

This last time I even printed out and took in a TSB 0342-09 that referenced the issue...

To state the obvious its quite annoying...

TwoPairsofBoots 01-10-2012 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoPairsofBoots (Post 802335)
...My local mechanic said he'd charge me $100 to re-route the tailpipe off to the side, instead of out the back. I'll be doing that later this month. Hopefully that helps reduce the exhaust that gets sucked back into the cabin.

So I got this done a while after originally posting this. I've been driving around for the past several months with the tail pipe rerouted to the side ... it's FANTASTIC. Now I almost never notice any smell whatsoever. The shop I brought it to had to cut off the resonator to make space for the curved pipe, so the exhaust sounds ever-so-slightly "throatier." Nothing to annoy neighbors or even someone right next to it; I'm saying only if you drive your 4Runner all the time, then you might notice a difference in the sound.

Honestly, I don't know why Toyota didn't design it this way to begin with.

(Ignore the scratches... they were my fault a long time ago, not from when the shop did the work.) :ybrick:

toyoman25 10-01-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoPairsofBoots (Post 951174)
So I got this done a while after originally posting this. I've been driving around for the past several months with the tail pipe rerouted to the side ... it's FANTASTIC. Now I almost never notice any smell whatsoever. The shop I brought it to had to cut off the resonator to make space for the curved pipe, so the exhaust sounds ever-so-slightly "throatier." Nothing to annoy neighbors or even someone right next to it; I'm saying only if you drive your 4Runner all the time, then you might notice a difference in the sound.

Honestly, I don't know why Toyota didn't design it this way to begin with.

(Ignore the scratches... they were my fault a long time ago, not from when the shop did the work.) :ybrick:

exactly what I am planning on doing here in bit....