Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Polls (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/polls/)
-   -   What octane of gas do you use? (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/polls/7889-what-octane-gas-do-you-use.html)

Wilmarbury 01-17-2005 07:59 PM

What octane of gas do you use?

I have a 2005 Sport Edition. For the first month, I used 91. But now I use 89. I've never used 87, but I wanted to know what everyone else uses and if they've seen a difference.

Wilmarbury

aznguile972 01-17-2005 09:22 PM

I pump 93 octane (SUPER)! It was not an option so I did not vote. I notice a difference going from 93 down to 87-89. To me, it seems as if the car did not want to go. But then again, I only pump Chevron cuz I think it makes a world of difference.

Mark86 01-17-2005 09:45 PM

I pump only super into my truck. I want to get the most performance out of it and I feel it will help down the road. I just can't can't give my V8 regular but that is just my opinoin.

mikes4runner 01-17-2005 09:48 PM

Read your owners manual on recomended octane, cars are built to run on certain octane levels unless you upgrade intake,exhaust,engine managment etc.
running high octane does not make your stock car/truck faster run better.

I am sure this has been beat to death in another thread.

sharp4runr 01-17-2005 11:07 PM

All Toyotas exept for the new celica/matrix/corolla with the beefed up 1.8L engine just need 87.

I have to confess that every once in a while I throw in the good stuff (91 or 93). I know the 4runner doesn't require it, but I like to spoil my baby every once in a while...

ToyotaDoodz 01-17-2005 11:29 PM

My manual says 87 but for towing or extra performance burn ~91.

I did a test when I first got it. Five consecutive tanks of 87 and five of 91. I did get "slightly" better gas mileage with the 91 but because of the price differential, the increase in MPG did NOT offset the increased price per gallon. I've been burning 87 every since.

iFORCE 01-17-2005 11:34 PM

Premium Unleaded 91 all the time. :D The extra costs are nominal so... why not! Keeps me happy. Keeps her happy.

Jim_Chow 01-26-2005 07:13 PM

Doesn't the V8 vvti require 91?

jlb 01-26-2005 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikes4runner
Read your owners manual on recomended octane, cars are built to run on certain octane levels .......
Yep, Page 391 (2004)

"Fuel
Fuel Type:
Unleaded Gasoline, Octane Rating 87
(Research Octane Number 91) or higher.
For improved vehicle performance, the
use of premium unleaded gasoline with
an Octane Rating of 91 (Research Oc-
tane Number 96) or higher is recom-
mended."

Quote:

Originally posted by mikes4runner
.....unless you upgrade intake,exhaust,engine managment etc.
running high octane does not make your stock car/truck faster run better.

What you say would be true for an engine that is purely designed to run 87 octane, but not so if the engine is designed to use 91+ octane and is using an ECU & knock sensor to compensate for lower octane by retarding the timing to prevent detonation.

Typically it is compression ratio, (amount of boost for non N/A), valve timing and ignition advance that establish octane requirements.

jlb

4-Ruiner 10-11-2005 09:57 AM

It is my understanding that you should only use what is recommended by the manufacturer. I use 87, because that is what is recommended. I have always heard that unless your engine is built for higher-octane...don't use it. Your motor may actually be more efficient. Higher-octane is generally used for cars with a high-compression or forced-induction.

sharp4runr 10-11-2005 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim_Chow
Doesn't the V8 vvti require 91?
no, check your manual.

CGY_LTD_V8 10-11-2005 10:25 AM

I use 91 in my truck. Always have and always will :)

ssmathis 10-11-2005 11:29 AM

I mostly use 87 but every now and then use 93.

Scott

Solice 10-11-2005 04:19 PM

I started out using 91 but switched to 87 and have been using that for about 5 months now. If there is a difference in performance I didn't feel it so I'm sticking with the 87.

slimjim 04-13-2006 09:45 PM

summer/winter blends of gas

you guys know that there are summer and winter blends of fuel right? the summer blend is a bit lighter and causes less polution. but i hear that it offers less gusto. burns a bit quicker. here's a link:
http://www.slate.com/id/2098672/
i use a brand name 91 octane just because i hear that the detergents in them are better. but hey, what do i know? just an everyday consumer.