Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Seat Heater Install (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/80123-seat-heater-install.html)

Mijfwb23 01-10-2011 01:15 AM

Seat Heater Install

6 Attachment(s)
Decided to do my first mod to my 2010 TR4 5th Gen Trail.
I decided to go for heated seats as I felt they were cheap to install and feel good after along day of snowboarding.
I went with this one Amazon.com: WarmSeats Seat Heater: Automotive
As for the install I would say that it went pretty good, no major hicups other then it took longer then I thought. I was being very careful taking everything apart and made the whole install without breaking a clip or scratching anything. My only mistake was drilling the holes for the switches, the drivers side one is a little off center.
I did the passenger seat first and it took me 5hrs to get it installed and working, the driver seat took only about 2hrs. If I did it again I could definitely do it faster, I was being overly careful on the first seat.
There are two unused ignition powered fuse holders in the fuse box so that worked out perfectly. I would have rather hardwired them directly into the fuse box but I didn't want to get into tearing apart the fuse box.
As for the seat heaters and how well they work. On the high setting they get pretty darn hot, I like the low setting for normal use.
This is my first mod so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I will help however I can.
The best advice I can give is download the repair manual being offered on the forum, it helped me a ton. That is why I didn't break any clips, I knew were they all where.

W8kbrder 01-10-2011 02:23 AM

Excellent mod! Do you have any other detailed pictures of this along the way? Getting the seats out/apart? Running the wires for the heated seat switches?

reklov 01-10-2011 04:24 AM

congrats on the mod. I've always been a bit weird about seat heaters. Seem to make my feel like i need to #2:hatsoff:

Mijfwb23 01-10-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W8kbrder (Post 686142)
Excellent mod! Do you have any other detailed pictures of this along the way? Getting the seats out/apart? Running the wires for the heated seat switches?

I have some, I will add them when I get back from work tonight.
Getting the seats out was the easiest part just 4 bolts, unplug neg batt cable, wait 90 sec(for airbag), disconnect under-seat plugs, then pull seats out.
As for the wires I ran the passenger wires through the center console, behind the heater control panel, over the steering shaft then to the fuse box. The switch just taps off the main harness and was really easy to route.
The drivers side I ran under the left door jam, kick panel, to fuse box. There was just enough cable to run the switch into the center console.
It is really easy to run wires under the carpet and to remove panels on this truck.
The only thing I didn't like about this kit is that it tells you to remove the tape on the back of the heaters to stick them to the seat foam but mine didn't have tape. I had to use the silver tape to affix it, which worked fine.
Also the seats come apart in only a few minutes. The bottoms were harder to do because you had to remove the hog rings to do a whole seat pad. I posted a pic of the seat heater on that one. The back was really easy just 3hog rings on the bottom, unzip sides, then cut to fit pad and shove in and tape in place.
Again I will post the pics tonight, I don't have many more but I will post what I have.
Get the manual it was a life saver. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...nner-here.html

sandcrawler 01-10-2011 12:46 PM

nicely done!
:bravo:

kmiller8821 01-10-2011 02:01 PM

Great job! I wish the leather sets in the 2nd row came heated from the factory. Thing feelsl ike ICE when it's cold... lol Looks like you had fun!

:reddance:

nashman69g 01-10-2011 02:12 PM

glad I could help :cheers:

gwcpa 01-10-2011 02:56 PM

Great write up.

I always used to think seat heaters were silly, until I got my first car with them. Now they pretty much stay on in the winter and I turn the heat down.

I've now had 3 cars with heaters and I'd miss it in the winter.

harper7 01-10-2011 03:01 PM

Very nice write-up! I need to install some in my rear seats for my daughters.

4rbcool 01-10-2011 03:45 PM

Nice write up.

Mijfwb23 01-10-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmiller8821 (Post 686362)
Great job! I wish the leather sets in the 2nd row came heated from the factory. Thing feelsl ike ICE when it's cold... lol Looks like you had fun!

:reddance:

I am sure you could install them in the 2nd row, you cut them to fit anyway.

Glad you all liked the writeup I will try and post more pics later tonight.

Again thanks Nashman69g your manual really was a great help.

Mijfwb23 01-10-2011 09:25 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are the last of the photos I took. Sorry after awhile I got too involved and forgot to take more photos.

potts.mike 02-26-2011 03:31 PM

What fuse did you tap into and did you use the same tap for both seats?

Ryan_S 02-26-2011 08:22 PM

Heres where mine were tapped in.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/audio-...tml#post591292

I also tied into that for my CB.

Mijfwb23 02-27-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potts.mike (Post 722550)
What fuse did you tap into and did you use the same tap for both seats?

There are two ignition switched on blank fuses in the driverside fuse box. I used them, that way I never had to mess with any active in use fuses.