Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   Classic T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/)
-   -   86 T4R cupholders/lights (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/86642-86-t4r-cupholders-lights.html)

Bplee 04-04-2011 11:05 AM

86 T4R cupholders/lights

I have a 1986 4x4 4-runner with 170k miles a new engine.

I freakin love that thing, but since it is an earlier model, it missed out on interior lights by two years and it was way too early to have any kind of cupholder. I have also found that most aftermarket cupholders are usually either pieces of crap or really bulky and useless (maybe im not looking in the right places). Im SURE some of you have had cupholder issues qith their old 4-R. I need to have somewhere to put my open beer while im off-road.

I also need to find an easy way to attatch some kind of aftermarket overhead bulb or small lamp.

Has anyone had these issues with their old 4-R?
Does anyone know a good way to attatch a bulb/small overhead lamp to the interior cieling without drilling a hole in the roof?
Finally, what is the best way to put cupholders (at least 1) in my 86 and what are the best kind to use?

Thanks. Im new to this forum but could really use some input from other 4-R lovers!

90 t4r 04-04-2011 11:28 AM

you could get led light strips for interior lights thats been done on here sucessfully a few times.

austintaco 04-04-2011 01:58 PM

For cupholders, the easiest thing to do is put two of the window hang type and hang them on the glove box. I did that for awhile, and then I went with a center console lid from an explorer that had pull out holders that slid out. I mounted that to my arm rest lid so I have pull out cupholders. However, they will sweat on the rear window switches.

cometobanks 04-04-2011 10:27 PM

get a map light assembly from a junk yard SR5 or those "dot-it"led lights from LOWES are pretty good.

About any junk yard dome light will be a one wire hook up, unnless you want door switches.

eighty64runner 04-05-2011 01:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the best cupholder solution that I've seen on a 1st Gen. I took the image from an ebay listing. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly how they did the mod. . . maybe someone can comment on how it appears to have been done? Seems to involve some cutting of the center console. . .

cometobanks 04-05-2011 03:11 PM

looks like the ole hack saw, super glue, and a Wal Mart truck seat caddy approach. Kinda sloppy but good idea though!

foonanas 04-05-2011 04:27 PM

my center console has been apart for so long i can not remember how to put it back together. Could some one snap some pics of theirs? I swear I am missing some pieces..