Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/)
-   5th gen T4Rs (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/)
-   -   Advice requested re new 2011 4Runner Trail (https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/87954-advice-requested-re-new-2011-4runner-trail.html)

jhmoore 04-21-2011 12:28 PM

Advice requested re new 2011 4Runner Trail

Hi all,

I'm about to buy a 2011 4Runner Trail (with KDSS) and am looking for advice from folks more experienced than myself.

I am not an experienced off-road person. I am an increasingly enthusiastic nature photographer (passion, not job) who wants to safely get to and from places. At this point, the goal of the vehicle is not the enjoyment of the ride, it is getting home safely (though, who knows, it might become both!). Imagine this vehicle on back roads in Death Valley, Yosemite, Utah Canyonlands... I will keep my Accord for day-to-day driving and just drive the 4Runner on weekends / trips.

Questions:

1. Should I even lift the vehicle, at least initially? And if so, how -- specifically?

2. What tires should I put on it? Keeping in mind that I'd hate to not lift it, spend $1500+ on six tires of one size, then 6-12 months from now lift it and need to buy bigger tires!

3. If I want to keep the sixth tire, several gas and water cans, and other equipment on the top, what roof rack do you recommend?

4. Are the stock skid plates for a 2011 Trail Edition sufficient?

5. What other modifications do you suggest that I start with, if any--given my lack of experience and stated goals for the vehicle?

Thank you very much!

John
San Diego, CA

1engineer 04-21-2011 01:30 PM

Back roads are one thing, no roads are something else entirely.
Back Roads - No problems stock. I take my SR5 there in 2WD.
No Roads - Will you be going there? If so, I will defer to Harper, Dlak, Mike, Jesse and others who will steer you safely in the correct direction for mods.

homeyclaus 04-21-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhmoore (Post 764055)
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a 2011 4Runner Trail (with KDSS) and am looking for advice from folks more experienced than myself.

I am not an experienced off-road person. I am an increasingly enthusiastic nature photographer (passion, not job) who wants to safely get to and from places. At this point, the goal of the vehicle is not the enjoyment of the ride, it is getting home safely (though, who knows, it might become both!). Imagine this vehicle on back roads in Death Valley, Yosemite, Utah Canyonlands... I will keep my Accord for day-to-day driving and just drive the 4Runner on weekends / trips.

Questions:

1. Should I even lift the vehicle, at least initially? And if so, how -- specifically?

At some of those places you listed, a lift can be helpful. In the picture thread you do see people take even stock SR5's into some of those places though.

Old Man Emu or a Toytec lift is probably what you want, about 3 inches. Work out what else you're going to be carrying with you, and get springs that'll take that weight.

Quote:

2. What tires should I put on it? Keeping in mind that I'd hate to not lift it, spend $1500+ on six tires of one size, then 6-12 months from now lift it and need to buy bigger tires!
Look though the picture thread - most types of tires are represented, and people will post what size. I am particular to Nitto TerraGrapplers, and SeattleMike likes Goodyear DuraTracs IIRC. Run what the people in your area run.

Quote:

3. If I want to keep the sixth tire, several gas and water cans, and other equipment on the top, what roof rack do you recommend?
There is a big thread on that right now.

ETA: Gobi group buy FTW - can't go wrong with that. I'll likely end up with a Yakima MegaWarrior w extension though.

Quote:

4. Are the stock skid plates for a 2011 Trail Edition sufficient?
There aren't many aftermarket skid upgrades out yet, so hopefully they are ;)

There are some outfits just coming out with winch bumpers with extra skid plates and stuff. Be aware that adding that sort of thing needs to be accounted for in spring selection - it's heavy.

Quote:

5. What other modifications do you suggest that I start with, if any--given my lack of experience and stated goals for the vehicle?
You'll want a set of rock sliders to protect your doors, and a hilift jack and the usual recovery kit.

If you're new at this, taking a course in both offroad driving and recovery is very, very eye opening. See if they have one that covers some of the high tech stuff in your vehicle, like when to use crawl control, and when to use the locker, etc.